Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: How i can do unit setup in wings so i can set the metric unit to meters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm modeling real-scale models and i want to set the metric unit to meters but i don't know where i can change the units to meters.
So, where i can handle that?
Thanks!
Wings3D works with its single unit (WU). There was a discussion about that: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to?
In the last post you will see that 1WU can be equal 1mm for printing (exported in .stl format).

If you intend to share the Wings3d project with another software, what you can do is unify it before export and after import in that software your can scale it to match the unit size you want. Just an idea.
Wings3D to Unity (Game Engine) is 1:1, where 1WU (Wings Unit) is 1UU (Unity Unit). This works if you set your exporters to 1, and Unity's import scale to 1 as well.

So as Micheus mentions, it very much depends on the import/export scales and sometimes a little experimentation is needed.
Yes, but that doesn't help.

I am experiencing a problem where I created a room in Wings3D using 1WU = 1M. The room is therefore about 10UU x 20UU x 10UU high. when I put maxxed out baked lights at the ceiling, the light never reaches the floors.

I'm not sure if this is the actual problem, as there is no information about what Unity expects the size of a room to be for lighting purposes.
sorry for replying to this old post, but how do you set the exporters in wings 3d? or maybe I'm misunderstanding something...
There is not option dialog for STL exporter, since most the time any resize can be made in the 3D printer software.

But, because time in time someone ask for units/scale I'm going to propose a change to the plugin adding that option. Once you define the scale first time it will be used as a preferred one for further exportings. I hope that can help a little.