Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Wings 3D choppy on a dual GPUs laptop @ Full HD Resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,
I am new to the forum, hope I am posting in the correct section.

For a start, let me thank you guys for the hard work you are putting in developping and supporting this program. Over the last few years Wings 3D has become my tool of election for game modding and artistic 3D modelling. When I installed it for the first time, I was amazed by the friendly interface, combined with some powerful functions capable of professional outputs; and all of this was for free! Since then I have become a Wings3d worshipper ;P over the web, and I always have the latest version of Wings installed on my systems. And now to my question...

I have recently bought an HP Envy 15 laptop, relevant specs below:
CPU - Intel Core i7-5500U
RAM - 16 GB
Integrated GPU - Intel HD 5500
Dedicated GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
OS - Windows 8.1 64 bit

Indeed I am aware it is not the state-of-the-art systm for 3d modelling, but in the laptop category it is not bad either, even considering that in the past I have run Wings on lesser performing systems, and with no flaws.
After installing all the latest NVIDIA drivers, and setting the GTX 850M as my default GPU with a resolution of 1920x1080, I have installed Wings 3D 1.5.3, 64 bit version, with no third party plugins added. To my surprise, after creating a new project with an image plane and a 16-faces cylinder, Wings started lagging whenever I tried scaling/rotating the primitive, to the point of making any accurate manual editing impossible.
My first doubt was that for some reason Wings was still using the Intel GPU, but from the Help=> OpenGL Info menu, I can clearly see that the GeForce card is in use. After several attempts which remedied the problem only in part, the one way to make Wings fairly smooth again, was switching to HD+ resolution (1600x900). My question is: is that normal? I wish to keep using Wings for my 3d projects, but I don't want to give up the Full HD resoultion either...
Any suggestion highly appreciated Smile
Strange, I do not have help to give.
My HP laptop with an Intel gfx card works fine on external monitor on 1660x900
on Windows 7.

Without the image plane does it work ok?

Does switching back to Intel card makes it worse?
Hi dgud, thank you for your answer, please see my comments below.

(06-23-2015, 01:45 PM)dgud Wrote: [ -> ]My HP laptop with an Intel gfx card works fine on external monitor on 1660x900
on Windows 7.

Is your laptop fitted with any other GPU but the integrated gfx card? have you ever tried working on W3D without external monitor? What resolution have you set? I suspect my problems may come from from the dual GPU architecture or from the screen, though I can be wrong.

(06-23-2015, 01:45 PM)dgud Wrote: [ -> ]Without the image plane does it work ok?

No, I tried loading a variety of models that I was working on before buying the new laptop. All of them show the same problem: no matter how complex is their geometry, W3D becomes choppy whenever I pan the camera or move vertices around, as far as screen resolution is set to 1920x1080, 1680x1050, 1400x1050, 1280x1024 (among the ones allowed by my gfx card). The one mouse imput which is handled smoothly is the zooming in/out, made with the mouse-wheel. On the contrary, resolutions of 1600x900, 1440x900, 1366x768, 1366x768, 1360x768, 1280x960, 1280x800, 1280x768, 1152x864 and 1024x768 seem to work well. Thinking about it, it appears that the discriminating factor is vertical resolution: it can be a mere cohincidence, but setting it to anything higher than 960 dpi will make W3D to go haywire. Also note that I can edit those models within Photoshop and Blender without problems of any sort, no matter what screen resolution I set.

(06-23-2015, 01:45 PM)dgud Wrote: [ -> ]Does switching back to Intel card makes it worse?

Neither better nor worse. I have also tried disabling the Intel Gfx card at all and I downgraded screen refresh rate to 40Hz, not to avail.
Solved!
Checking "Disable Display Scaling On High DPI Settings" in Wings3D.exe properties, did the trick. Maybe one of the moderators can pin this workaround to the troubleshooting thread stickied on top of this forum, just in case someone will experience the same issue. Smile
A have a friend and plugins co-developer has this same exact problem.
With same solution. I would agree ... it needs a STICKY but also some simple explanation as to when it applies (What OS and screen sizes if possible).
(06-24-2015, 01:44 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]A have a friend and plugins co-developer has this same exact problem.
With same solution.

I was actually wondering how it comes that no one had anything like that before...

(06-24-2015, 01:44 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]I would agree ... it needs a STICKY but also some simple explanation as to when it applies (What OS and screen sizes if possible).

All the details are available from my previous posts:

Problematic screen resolutions (requiring display scaling disabled): 1920x1080, 1680x1050, 1400x1050, 1280x1024
Resolutions that don't require any tweak: 1600x900, 1440x900, 1366x768, 1366x768, 1360x768, 1280x960, 1280x800, 1280x768, 1152x864, 1024x768

My hardware specs are found at post #1, but at this point I think they are not relevant. The one peculiarity of my system is the dual GPUs, but at least on my rig switching W3D to use either of them didn't make any difference.
I think I recall a third person having this issue as well. So you are not the only one. Good on you for persisting and finding the conflict. :-)
Glad to help!
I hope one day you'll find a proper fix. :-)
I was having the same issue on my computer, I used to practically beast through
with the application with no issues except for the occasional saving lag but until recently, when i tried using wings, it lagged worse than assassins creed unity on a TI-84.
after doing some trial and error I it seems wings has a glitch with resolution or something because when i disable my second monitor it works just fine
First monitor- 1440x900
Second monitor- 1600x900
So if you have dual monitors and having this issue, you could try unplugging/disabling one.

I wont guarantee this will fix your issue because I'm running on a slightly old GPU but it wont hurt anything to try it
:I
Does the new dev releases on the 2.0 branch behave any better?
Pages: 1 2