Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: BSOD for 64bit Windows version of 1.5.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's a brand new computer that I bought just before Christmas, Windows 10, i5-6300HQ, GeForce GTX960M, with all the drivers updated and everything. The BSOD only happens when you press the Edit Preferences button in the geometry window, but I don't think it happened when you went via the menu (Edit>Preferences). It only happened in the 64bit version -- I didn't test the menu out more because I jumped the gun and uninstalled it so that I could test if the behavior happened in the 32bit version (luckily, it doesn't). The BSOD says it was a kernel_security_check_failure and Windows 10 doesn't seem to give more details than that (there might be logs but I haven't looked up how to find those yet).
Even you were not being sure it probably happens when you use the menu for select preferences.
A log file use to have the .dump extension, but I don't think it is created if you got a BSOD. Please take a look for that kind of file in your hard driver.

It's first time someone reported a BSOD in this situation. It uses to be related to a some kind of hardware/driver fault and as the preferences checks for OpenCL support maybe the problem is related to it.

Anyway, you have a good video card, so I would ask you to try to install the latest v.2.0.2 of Wings3D and give us a feedback.
Yeah, I've had .dump files generate on my desktop before when wings has crashed on my older computers (not bugs, just terrible geometry on my part), but there were none this time. I was also looking out for windows logs, but none generated for the BSODs.

I installed 2.0.2 64bit and the BSODs happened again Sad. The BSODs were delayed, however, probably 30-45 seconds after opening preferences. I will try out 2.0.2 32bit sometime later, but I suspect that as with 1.5.4 32bit, I won't have any problems.