Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Edge borders from materials-colors...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First I want to ask if there is an easy way to do such a thing... because it is quite possible that there may be one, in front of my eyes, despite my not seeing it. : - )

If there is not, however, let speak about it: a command that will select automatically all the edges, bordering the materials-colors on an object (as is easily understandable from the first image below). We do click on a 'select material borders' command and, there, we do have selected all the edges between the materials-colors of an object.

Now, why I need such a feature? The explanation is very simple: because such a feature can offer, in a very easy way, the opportunity to create a feel of different parts-compartments on an object by using 'crease>move toward normals>bevel' route (as is evident in the second image with the renders below).

Mark... what do you say? Is it possible to implement such a command?

[Image: Color%20borders_zps3xe2nnfl.jpg]

[Image: Color%20borders_a_zpsqmeadyih.jpg]
Any answer, any idea? : - )
Yes. This one is easy to do ... but still takes maybe a few hours.
Take your time Mark... just wanted to know that the idea was rightly put. Because, as I said, sometimes there are solutions that are in front of our eyes but we do not see them.

I know it is possible to do it 'manually', but it is a very tedious process, you have to select the edge of every patch one by one. If you try to select them by loops you go too far from the areas you need to select (and then you have to go through a tedious deselecting work too).

In fact such a selection would be useful for many tasks having to do with creasing and beveling. It is an easy way to produce a realistic look for hard surfaced technology products. It is a feature that despite its simplicity could be of a quite significant help in modeling.
Dimitri, is it hard to - in face mode - in the Outline window over the material use Select [LMB] and in the Geometry window use Select edge region (I think it's just [L])?

Of course, ggaliens can to automatize this.
Micheus thanks for the information. I did not know that there was such a selection kind (with the 'L' key). It really selects the edge borders of an area with selected faces but it does it only for one area. I you have a surface divided to many different material-color patches you will have to do the selections and the bevelings one by one. It would be a very tedious work route. Especially in the cases where the patches are many. So, it would be of a very significant help to have a one click solution: you just click on a 'select by color borders' and, there, you have all the patches' borders on an object selected... then you can do the beveling with one move as well.
Ok, sorry.
I was almost sure it would select all regions for the same material, then storing/adding to a select group you could bevel them all at once in the end.

Just in case, that material selection has also the MMB and RMB option that I added during v1.4.1 bug fixes (http://youtu.be/yvE86M6aAA0 ).
(02-24-2016, 07:46 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]Just in case, that material selection has also the MMB and RMB option that I added during v1.4.1 bug fixes (http://youtu.be/yvE86M6aAA0).
Not Found link
I guess it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvE86M6a...e=youtu.be
This function has been implemented in ManifoldLab. It can be found on the Outliner window if you click one of the items. It is called "Materials to Edges".
Going to try it! : - )
Pages: 1 2