Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Rounded bevels...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know this is not, maybe, a so easy thing to implement but... let put it here, so that it may exist here as something mentioned. It is a feature pressingly needed in Wings, so it deserves to be kept in mind.

True, there is a way to achieve something similar, somehow, in Wings (by re-selecting the bevels of an edge and re-beveling them) but it is not the same thing and it has some important flaws. And, of course, when you have to do multiple bevelings on complex surfaces the re-selecting work is difficult and very time consuming.

So let drop a note about it here so that it may be kept in mind... : - )

The images below are from Blender... the top row of cubes shows the working of roundness amount options and the bottom row shows the working of bevel size options:

[Image: Rounded%20beveling_zps2rg4ipjv.jpg]
Is this operation only for cubes ? Can you show how it would work on a more complicated object ?
No, it is not only for cubes. It applies to any edge of any object. Below are two examples. The second one is a cylinder that beveled inversely first on the edges of its two caps and then on the new sharp edges that resulted.

There are three options in Blender's bevel producing: the bevel's size, the roundness amount and its being outwardly or inwardly looking.

[Image: Rounded%20beveling_complex%20shapes_a_zpsanbrim0w.jpg]

[Image: Inverse%20rounded%20beveling_cylinder_zpsxoc1nwhx.jpg]
Any chance at getting a link to a handful of these examples in

.wings file format ...

so that I can zoom in ? So far all these shapes seem SIMPLE in nature.

Can you do this to a ROCK ? Maybe something like a dodecahedron with some arbitrary plane cuts applied. I think you know what I mean. Some simple poles and more organic dihedral angles on surface.
If you upload some meshes I will be able to experiment with them. By means of words only it is difficult to understand what exactly you mean. Although what I say here is very easily discernable: just rounded bevels... a feature very common in today's modeling apps..
...and don't forget to consider it applied to "opened" loops.
The sample are applying it to all edges, that make it relatively "simple".

That would be a nice addition, of course.
Agree with you Micheus, it would be great in such a case. Although it would be good to have it even if only for the closed loops. It is better than not having it at all. : - )
Even a tool as simple as INSET is bound by the quality of the faces (relative sizes and shapes). See how Inset would work well on an all quad model where the faces were relatively square and of almost same size.

But we know how quickly it gets weird for more oddball constructions. Thankfully is does work in a reasonable way when it "fails".

The same issues and failure mode handlings would be needed for round bevel. So it would be good to look at how the round bevel would work on an od shape first ... then proceed to more normal usage.
'So it would be good to look at how the round bevel would work on an od shape first.'

Well, upload somewhere such a shape so that we may experiment with it in Blender. It is best to be a shape of your own choice, so that we may work exactly on what you need to know for proceeding toward a possible implementation of such a beveling tool.
Lets see how the blender bevel does with this shape ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfb5cmyatdmloo...wings?dl=0

Please send me back a nice rounded bevel appled to all edges on this shape. So I can zoom in on it and see what it does.
Pages: 1 2 3 4