Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Photogrammetry Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ggaliens, the image looks nice, but could you write down some words about how it can help.

The audio in the video is too low and even after I turn up the dial I just understand that ML have a lot of functions to help with photometry, but I couldn't understand how. I think a demonstration video would help us to understand it better.
1) Additional PLY support for both binary and ascii allows for import of vertex colors into Wings3D/MLAB

2) Various and numerous extra selection tricks can assist with "by hand decimation" so that a more reasonable polycount can be obtained.

3) Extra selections which can help MASK areas where for example short edges should not be dissolved away ... easier.

The list can go on and on and on ... but it is the "gestalt" that matters first and foremost. If you don't believe in more is better ... then my approaches are not good for you.

I actually have hundreds of extra visualization tricks ... and to say that I have identified a top ten best ? No way ... I never know what old selector I'm going to need tomorrow.

I was talking with a MLAB buddy the other day and I suggested renaming MLAB to MeshJunkYard ... because there is that much stuff in there ... yes.
This looks interesting but... how do you think to get the data from so many photos inside Wings?
I send the photo data to visualSFM ... a fairly popular tool for Photogrammetry.
(03-15-2016, 05:03 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't believe in more is better ... then my approaches are not good for you.
The problem is: if I have no idea for what all that stuff is, how can I use it.

ML has a lot of stuff for sure, but only you knows how/where to apply then or what the meaning of some parameters in the dialogs.
That is why a video showing the use of a feature you just build can help us to understand it. That's my thought, but don't care about that.
Well ... the photogrammetry aspects are not directly supportive ... so no dialog ... no video. If you get outputs from ...

VisualSFM in PLY formats ... MLAB can import it.

ssd_recon (surface rebuilder) ... MLAB can import it.

I get direct solicitations from people seeking deep knowledge and/or just simple clarification.
Wanted to try a photo to 3d hat required some "FLY BY" pictures into inclusions and concavities ... to get more of a model in the complete round. This one seems to come out ok .

Thanks for the infos.
Micheus ... you know that ManifoldLab does very little in particular to support Photo to 3d ... but it does a bunch of very littles.

Are you at all into Photo to 3d ? Everyone should try it once or twice or three times. VisualSFM makes it very easy to do ... as does MeshLab. Reading about how to collect the photos is very important too. Try a nice cloudy day. That is the ambient lighting that seems to have worked best for me. But others have said indoors ... three lights.

I have dogs and a cat and kids and wife. So setting up a photo session inside on Kitchen floor ... to risky. I head out to picnic table in backyard on cloudy day. Everyone will find their own way. But you can for sure do it with Android or Iphone in the backyard.

I have not had too much luck yet with shiny or partly shiny objects. Best luck has been with surfaces that diffuse the light ... such as a un-painted garden gnome ... made of clay ... or a plastic that "emulates" this kind of non reflective surface.

Anyone who wants to try it ... I would help walk them through it.
Pages: 1 2