Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Loops (open) divide: adding to its abilities…
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A request: making the ‘loops (open) divide’ command cut at once all the selected open loops (instead of cutting only one).

Let explain the reason such a command could be very useful: the object in the image series below has been cut to equal -as to its vertical loops- pieces (in the ‘b’ image to two pieces, in ‘c’ to four pieces and in ‘d’ to eight pieces) with the help of ‘loops (open) divide’ command. I did cut one by one all the vertical loops and then I did connect them by using simple connect or wherever needed by ‘connect by surface normals’ command (as is evident in the ‘a’ image). So I made the cutting loops. And then I cut the object to chunks.

The problem is that selecting the vertical loops one by one and cutting them one by one is a very tedious and time consuming process, if the command would make the work at once (select all the vertical loops > loops (open) divide) the whole process would be in a fraction of work time.

Also, if the ‘loops (open) divide’ command has an option as to how many pieces the user wants to cut the selected loop (or loops), things would be even more easy. You select all the vertical loops (in the case of an object as the one in the images), you cut them with the ‘loops (open) divide’ command to as many equal pieces you want and then… you connect the newly created vertices by hand (for making the cutting loops).

In short:

a. make the ‘loops (open) divide’ command work for all the selected open loops of the scene.

b. put an option dialogue for choosing the pieces to be cut number.

(Below I put a render of a sample of the kind of modeling purposes such tools can be used too. The hollowness has been achieved by using the ‘shell extrude’ command of Wings. The rendering has been done in Blender’s Cycles renderer).

[Image: Cut%20to%20chunks_zpsf4zyzpkq.jpg]
[Image: Cut%20to%20chunks_zpsuxpfbhz3.png]
Yes. I will fix this for you soon. In meantime ... you can combine them first and then pick loops on combined object ... even if annoying.
Fixed. Fix Released.
Tested it. There is a problem: We do select many open loops and click 'loops (open) divide' and all the selected loops are cut in the middle... to this point everything is ok. But when when we begin to connect the newly created vertices with the 'connect by surface normals', after connecting the first two vertices the other ones disappear.

Let put is more clearly: select three different open loops on an object... cut them in the middle with 'loops (open) divide"... then select the two from the three newly created vertices and connect them by using the 'connect by surface normals'... you will see that the third vertice (which cuts the third loop in the middle) disappears.

Also... can we put a dialogue box in the 'loops (open) divide' so that the user may decide the number of cuts that will done on the loop? Such an aid will make things much more easy. And, of course will give to the user the opportunity to cut the loops not only in even amount of parts but in odd ones too.
Yep. That's because my version of connect cut HATES ISOLATED Vertices. I agree ... thats design problem. But I probably won't have time to fix it for a while. Try ensuring each new vertex is not an isolated vertices. Add another edge by hand ... just as a test. Sorry weird I know.