Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: UV co-ordinates and values.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First may I state that I am no programmer and so have little understanding of the work involved. What I do know is a given job is normally 10 times more work than first thought !!

If I wish to place a vertice at a given point wings will do that, no probs! The maths and the method are in place. If I wish to move that same vertice at a fixed point in a UV map it is really down to suck it and see.

I build models thinking that in the "real world" they would be made up of a number of fixed panels. Think of a garden fence, there are a number of fixed upright poles, the sides of which can use exactly the same texture. The fence itself is made up of a number of identical panels, same texture.

I could make 10 cubes and .... one cube and cut and paste, sorted. But this would need 60 faces to be drawn at run time, many never seen. One cube, many faces, same texture. Looks the same but draws so much faster.

OR a rubics cube , half finished but with images not colours on each face

Now on to what I would like ( He says with a smile on his face!!)
Select a number of vertices in a UV map and assign a value to them so that 10 faces all fit exactly the same on a given texture. I can use scaleing and drag but getting 10 vertices to line up perfectly is no small task.*

I could have a Large face cut up and a separate material for each one, true. What I would like is for one material (or part of it) to look after 10 different faces.

Some thing like the Absolute Commands / move on the RMB

Just an Idea!

*I am in no way saying this is a small task!!!
Have you tried Tools/Snap image? (works best in ortho mode).
From what I can see Tools/snap allow me to adjust the size of a face to an existing picture ( I could be doing it wrong!!), I would like to would like to get 5 or 6 faces to line up or sit on the same place exactly. i.e. 5 faces to have the same UV coords e.g. 0.167 0.849, 0.167 0.849, 0.167 0.849, 0.167 0.849 and 0.167 0.849
A face is split up into 60 different Rectangles, of differing sizes but laid out as two rows of 30 .
The texture has a wood pattern ( bookcase) which is used for the top row and 6 different book spines. I need to get the 6 patterns to line up on random sized faces in a random order on the other 15 faces.
Could be done with drag and drop, zoom here zoom there .... could be better in this order....!!!

I did try exporting as a OBJ and altering it as a text file........No way

In short I would like to click on one vert, or ten verts, in the UV editor and assign a value like in "tab" on the scale menu.

* I refer to my "*" comment in first post
I have had a play with snap image but it does not seem to offer the pin point placing or repeat placing I seek. It could help me on a first pass but would still need a second tidy up manual session.

Coming back to the book case example, I make a 512 by 512 texture and part of it is a book spine with top left at 64, 32 and bottom right at 120,110. How do I get 6 faces to sit on exactly those pixcels without a whole load of drag drop and zoom?

Anyway, food for thought!
I don't see the problem really,
In uv-editor, select the charts (body-mode) you want to have the same position.

1. Move To/Top
  2. Move To/Left
  3. Move/Free
  4. Tab and enter Dx and Dy

You will get your faces set in exactly the same position.
And if you faces are on different objects to start with, combine the objects first so it is one object.
Now I have to kill some one......really really really joking
How long have I been able to do that!!!!!!
Correction, how long has every but me been able to do that!!!
DGUD you are a God, Sir... Thanks
> How long have I been able to do that!!!!!!
For ~ten years :-)
and how big was the smile on your face as you typed that......
I have just never noticed... Move Too

Would be nice to have it on the vertice and face menu but it is still going to save me loads of work in future.
Thanks so very much for the help