Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Randomly placed objects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi ggaliens,

I was thinking about some low poly grass texture tutorial and to achieve my goal I need randomly place some objects, see the screens:

Before:

[Image: before%20-%20step%201_zpsrd21s2uy.png]

I select the object and vertices:

[Image: select%20vertices%20-%20step%202_zpsff8ka3v0.png]

and the result:

[Image: result%20-%20step%203_zpsfh34e703.png]

I doesn't matter how the new objects are facings (the direction) as long as they are duplicated on the selected vertices.
I was pretty sure there was already similar option in Mlab but can't find it - the only similarity I found is: object/lots more/more:arrangements but they don't have option to select second object (or any other vertices for reference)
Do you know anything about it?

By the way: due to bad performance with my Intel HD GPU I can't follow any 2.0.X MLab (had some memory overload issue all the time) for my test I used 1.5.3 2015.04.02. It would be good if you could keep also 'older' versions of Mlab if needed. Currently under Manifoldlab.com I can find 2.0.x...

BR, Hank
(01-15-2017, 05:01 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]I doesn't matter how the new objects are facings (the direction) as long as they are duplicated on the selected vertices.
Hank, in the mean time maybe you could use a object with one extra row/col to avoid those objects with a normal in different direction than UP. Also, you could use [Vertex] Deform->Crumple->X/Z to scramble the target vertices a little. That can be done in 1.5.3:
[Image: random-placing_zpsf9500ac3.png]
(01-15-2017, 08:38 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-15-2017, 05:01 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]I doesn't matter how the new objects are facings (the direction) as long as they are duplicated on the selected vertices.
Hank, in the mean time maybe you could use a object with one extra row/col to avoid those objects with a normal in different direction than UP. Also, you could use [Vertex] Deform->Crumple->X/Z to scramble the target vertices a little. That can be done in 1.5.3:
[Image: random-placing_zpsf9500ac3.png]

Hello,

I would like to spread many objects around some bigger space to get a 'grass look-like' result. My objects are:

and the result would be:

Starting with simple object(s) might be a solution, but still I think there was some option in Mlab to get my request.

BR, Hank
I'm not sure there will ever been another 1.5.x MLAB build.
I could maybe look around on some CDROMS. But really I don't have time to be backwards compatible.

Sorry.
Hi ggaliens,

I didn't mean to develop any 1.5.3 version, just reference point or any other place where we could find archived version of Mlab(s) -some FTP?
On your web site there's only last version...
Anyhow, you did pretty good job with add-ons for W3D and appreciate this - tubes from loop path is my favourite one!
Hope you come back to do more stuff.
Thanks.

BR, Hank