Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Maybe a wrong material settup in Kerkythea (Answer: No, bad topology)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Material render test in Kerkythea failed. Undecided

PhotonMap:
[Image: leaves-test-KT-PhotonMap_zpskw1yjsfp.png]

MLT:
[Image: leaves-test-KT-MLT_zpssnv1af0x.png]

It doesn't matter what I change in the settings I never get control over the specularity as well as those black areas in the border doesn't disappear. I few like I need to add some thickness to it since it's a single edge .

The MLT also accuses that overlapped faces issue. It's very noticeable in the right leaf.
Can you shared the .wings file for test, please?
(01-24-2017, 09:03 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]Material render test in Kerkythea failed. Undecided

It doesn't matter what I change in the settings I never get control over the specularity as well as those black areas in the border doesn't disappear. I few like I need to add some thickness to it since it's a single edge .

The MLT also accuses that overlapped faces issue. It's very noticeable in the right leaf.

Hi Micheus
You can send material settings screenshot in Kerkythea?
Your model Monstera, has modeled the lower and the upper part?
This could be a problem.
It would be better, to have hole from bottom side of leaf.
Because I assume, you used the "clip mapping" to cut the not modeled parts.
I'm going to upload the file tomorrow. (I'm on my smartphone now)

olve11, I used PNG with transparency, but I tried also opaque with clip mask getting the same result.

The leaves have top and bottom faces, but its boundaries share one edge - so, no thickness in that area.

The overlapping issue was almost predictable. It's an usual issue, but as it didn't appeared in photonmap I hoped it would be well managed by Kerkytea. I really need to add some thickness.

It was another test looking for the minimum polygons to represent that plant. It seems I used less than enough. Smile
(01-24-2017, 09:46 PM)povmaniac Wrote: [ -> ]Can you shared the .wings file for test, please?
here is it. I hope you get everything you need. Smile
I didn't added thickness, so maybe you get that overlapping issue. But, there is a saved selection for the bottom faces, so it's easy you do that by using Inset [RMB] using small values for Distance and Bump (0.002 may be enough)

(01-24-2017, 10:16 PM)olve11 Wrote: [ -> ]It would be better, to have hole from bottom side of leaf.
Because I assume, you used the "clip mapping" to cut the not modeled parts.
Just the mask for Clip mapping was required.
Although I had set it to the material it was not applied to the objects - that was the strange thing happen when everything I changed didn't make any difference. I just realize today that materials cannot be applied to a group in Kerkythea. I exported the leaves uncombined from Wings3D and trying to get some time in KT I stored the two materials used in the Library. After that I grouped the leaves (two groups) and all changes I did to materials I applied to the selected KT group. To me, it's a KT bug.

[Image: leaves-test-KT-PhotonMap_zps6144c151.png]
Something to further projects that uses transparency is take care about the resolution. Each leaf uses a 512x512 (1024 for the four leaves) and that cause we to see some aliased borders when increasing the image size for the render.
Thanks for share.
First impression: you have some normals 'inside' to object.. but not sure that the problem are only normals.
It is true.
Povmaniac said:
"you have some normals 'inside' to object.. but not sure that the problem are only normals. "
That's the bottom modeled parts.
Use hole to bottom parts of leaf and everything is OK.
Sorry Please I let a small modification of your model Micheus.
See results

No problem olve11 Smile

I got your point, but that is not the problem in this case - I want them.
The bottom faces are intentional as you can see the left columnin the texture image are assigned to them. This kind of object - a leaf - can usually has its botoom area with a different glossy, slightly "whited" color and more wrinkles/rugosity - things that I was playing with too.

It's probably a problem of topology that the Inset should fix as I already verified too - as recommended to povmaniac.

Get faces with inverted normal was something not expected - I didn't checked by myself yet, maybe tomorrow. An object with four vertices and two faces produce valid normals. I just tried the same with multiple ones.
(01-25-2017, 10:10 PM)povmaniac Wrote: [ -> ]First impression: you have some normals 'inside' to object..
That is something strange, since by showing the normal vectors in Wings3D they are pointing to the right side (out of the face). That is true for bottom faces and top faces:
[Image: leaves-normals_zpsc342f974.png]

Did you use any yafaray tool to check that?
Bellow is two copies of the same leaf merged in kerkythea. The left one was exported without Normals and the right one was exported with the option export normals enabled:
[Image: test_zps2fc7f9e2.png]
So, or Wings3D is exporting wrong normals (or unwanted ones) or Kerkythea is messing up the normals by it self.
Pages: 1 2