Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [Fixed] Hide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I select all faces from one object (it does not matter combined with others or separated) and use option 'Hide' - is there any option to restore the hidden faces? otherwise it works like 'Delete'
I assume 'Hide' has only functionality to limited faces from one object...

See attached screen recording:

BR, Hank
I don't see any bug here. What I didn't understand?

(01-29-2017, 04:13 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]I select all faces from one object (it does not matter combined with others or separated) and use option 'Hide' - is there any option to restore the hidden faces? otherwise it works like 'Delete'
Not really as a 'Delete'. By doing that, it acts the same as you were in Body selection mode (with the whole object selected) and use the Hide object option (or the eye icon in the Geometry graph). So, to bring it back just use that option or the menu Select->Unhide all objects.

Quote:I assume 'Hide' has only functionality to limited faces from one object...
In this case you will get only the selected faces hidden. To unhide them you will need to select the surrounding faces you can see and use Hide with [RMB] option.
When we hide a lot of faces, show them back can be laborious. So, I have to say that I would like to have an option to show all the hidden faces in that object - all at once.
Hi micheus,

Maybe I will try to explain it more simple:

1. added cube
2. added cylinder
3. combined both objects
4. selected all cylinder faces + hide

In geometry graph I got only one object...

5. separated the object.
6. I got:
object1: Cube1 - not visible in geometry window, I don't know why (even with 'eye' icon turned on)
object2: Cube1_sep3 (original object from first action)

how can I restore missing cylinder?

see my recording:

Better resolution under: http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/dzinks...g.gif.html
Or just RMB + save as

BR, Hank
Yeah, I got it now.
It's better when we get the detailed steps to reproduce the problem. Thanks.

Nice shoes, btw.
Additionally, also tried with 'hole' option (2 objects combined) and the result is similar except step 6 - only one object in geometry graph, and there's no chance to unhide faces...
My solution:

1. combine objects
2. select all faces from previously combined object + hole
3. message pop-up: A hole cannot comprise all faces in an object

It already works for single objects

My W3D: 2.1.5

BR, Hank
Use this wings_we.beam to fix the Hide bug. (for 2.1.5 only!)

(01-30-2017, 06:39 AM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]Additionally, also tried with 'hole' option (2 objects combined) and the result is similar except step 6 - only one object in geometry graph, and there's no chance to unhide faces...
I don't think we can say it's a bug.

When you use Hole you are really doing a hole in the object - that means, the selected faces are removed.
For the case you proposed, being combined, all the objects' faces are part of the resultant object. In case of you select faces that were owned by an object before you have applied Combine they will be removed too. That means, if you decide to Separate them back that original object doesn't exists anymore - what is correct.

If someone wants they preserved then is better to use Hide.

I'm sure the action you proposed isn't usual, but it's a good idea people understand the way it works and avoid situations like that.
The fix was removed since it exposed a more critical crashes reported by Nova: Crash when combining multiple objects with holes and Exporting models with holes doesn't work.

The complete fix is out of my possibilities, so we need to wait for Dan to check it.

Sorry about that.