Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Low poly shoe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Some fast work to test AO option (thanks to Olve11) - I followed his advice and you can check the result.
Modeled: W3D 2.1.5 + Mlab (shoelace)
Texture: Gimp 2.8.16 ( 2048x2048 )

Tri: 3038

(with AO)

(without AO)

(wire)

(UV Map)

(shoelace from Mlab)

It's hard to admit but I never used AO before Sad I've seen this map many times but never wonder how or why to use it - even for my previous work the diffuse was shaded manually and it's nothing simple to achieve. Anyhow, in 2.1.5 I found also Normal Map option and I wonder what's the difference between external soft (xNormal / Gimp), can anyone share with some experience?

BR, Hank
Well done! Could you explain how did you do the shoelace? I can see that it`s Mlab but still don't know how exactly do that.
Hi Marcin,

here are my steps:
1. create object which you want to use for path
Usually I cut some cube and scale it along one axis, later move requested vertices, so it meets path directions (easier to manage with several geometry windows)

2. select one edge + L

3 RMB + Lots more + Tubes from loop paths

4. modify the values according to your needs (ngons, size, max number of steps etc.)

Let me know if any help needed.

BR, Hank
(02-05-2017, 05:32 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]I found also Normal Map option and I wonder what's the difference between external soft (xNormal / Gimp), can anyone share with some experience?
Hank, I added a post dedicated to that in the How To session: Using the Wings3D 'Create Normalmap' feature
Great work!
(02-06-2017, 04:31 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2017, 05:32 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]I found also Normal Map option and I wonder what's the difference between external soft (xNormal / Gimp), can anyone share with some experience?
Hank, I added a post dedicated to that in the How To session: Using the Wings3D 'Create Normalmap' feature

Thanks Micheus,
But to be honest, since I already use Gimp for most of my works, I will follow oort's advice and try GIMP Normal Plug in (insane bump) - it's combined version of spec/normal/displacement/occlusion.
Anyhow, Normal Map in W3D is great option too.

BR, Hank
(02-06-2017, 01:26 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Marcin,

here are my steps:
1. create object which you want to use for path
Usually I cut some cube and scale it along one axis, later move requested vertices, so it meets path directions (easier to manage with several geometry windows)

2. select one edge + L

3 RMB + Lots more + Tubes from loop paths

4. modify the values according to your needs (ngons, size, max number of steps etc.)

Let me know if any help needed.

BR, Hank

Sorry but I really don't see the difference between the object you start with in step 1 and the final object in the last step. What am I missing?
Quote:Sorry but I really don't see the difference between the object you start with in step 1 and the final object in the last step. What am I missing?

Take a look at first object - it's a deformed cube and the final is created with hexagon. And you can create even more complicated if you want...
See below recoding and try to create it with W3D under 3 min. Smile

(click for larger view)
made with Mlab

BR, Hank