Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Project saved with ML is hanging v2.1.5 when loading it.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Moved from Wings-2.1.5 Release thread by Micheus
(02-14-2017, 08:57 PM)OXO Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like being critical, but 2.1.5 is the worst release I've seen. It won't open many of my files, and just hangs, requiring task manager to kill it.
(02-15-2017, 02:47 AM)oort Wrote: [ -> ]Oxo,
I am surprised that you are having so much trouble with the new version. I think you are one of the first to have so much trouble with the new version.

The newer version can even handle higher poly-count models than it used to be able to handle.

Maybe listing your computer specs will help to figure out what is happening...

oort

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.00 GHz
4Gb RAM
Windows 10
120 Gb SSD
Nvidia GTX 750i
(02-14-2017, 08:57 PM)OXO Wrote: [ -> ]It won't open many of my files, and just hangs
Big files? How many polys?
With a object with ~230K polys it's a little slow in some operations, but I fell this in both 1.5.4 and 2.1.5 (no much difference).
And as I could notice, comparing your settings to one of those I used to test Wings3D (i5 650 3.5GHz - 4BG - Integrated graphic card) they have very similar performance (i5-650 vs AMD-Phenom-II-X4-940)

But, one thing that became reeeally slow was the Auto-rotate option.
around 25000 vertices, but with 4 or 5 2048x2048 textures

These files all open correctly with the last version of mlab.
(02-22-2017, 11:50 AM)OXO Wrote: [ -> ]around 25000 vertices, but with 4 or 5 2048x2048 textures
It's hard to say something without experience that.
Did you try to use the ML (since you says it loads your file) to disable (remove) the textures and try to load the plan mesh only in the 2.1.5.
Are the textures internal or external?

p.s. I'm going to move soon these posts to the bug reports session.
All textures external.
No body else has complained of something like this happen - I also use to reopen my old projects in all newest versions and couldn't notice that too.

It's hard to investigate a issue like that without the file, so I would ask you to do any test that could help us to try help you. Smile
ML stays on 2.0.1. So, maybe you would check if it can be load by the v2.0.2 that contains some fixes.

I also would suggest you make a backup of your project and - by loading it at ML - select all objects and in Body selection mode [B] use the CleanUp option; Save it and try to load in Wings3D v2.1.5 again.