Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Window Docking - Should it be done by default?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just throwing this out there for discussion.

I was playing with testing the new alpha build of YafaRay today and was bothered by the fact that I kept having to keep the rendered images at the top of the interface to prevent the rendered images from docking. I didn't have my keyboard handy to hold shift to prevent docking. I would like it better if the default was to not dock and have the user hold the Shift key when docking is desired.

This would not only be better for lazy people like me, but it would be better for any users that might have issues with using a second hand. That is one of the great things about Wings camera mode. You don't need a second hand to navigate...

Maybe it is not possible for it to work that way??? Sad

Thanks,
oort
In my mind the normal operation is to dock windows, thus it should dock without the user
having to know which special operation that needs to be done to do the docking.

Also casual users get a direct feedback that the windows can be docked, if they don't know
that it can't be done, expert users know that or can lookup how to not dock the window.

I have use gimp (an old version) very seldom but from time to time.
I don't remember how to dock the windows and it creates many,
and I get very frustrated every time I use it.
So I will not change the default handling, docking shall be simple it makes the usage experience
better for more people.
Before,I felt the same inconvenience as oort did.
but,I thought that is an intentional reason and I didn't post the inconvenience here.

dgud,How about could you make more narrow a response area (transrusent blue area) for decide to docking or not?
Currently the area is too wide and it will be docked immediately in the places.
For example the area for changed after.

[attachment=493]

With this method,you could integrate both user's experience without changing current docking key operation.
It can also place windows when operating Wings3D in full screen mode.
(03-17-2017, 09:22 AM)dgud Wrote: [ -> ]I have use gimp (an old version) very seldom but from time to time.
I don't remember how to dock the windows and it creates many,
and I get very frustrated every time I use it.
I have the same problem. Smile

... although, sometimes I also get annoying with automatic docking in Wings3D. It's not so bad, because we can hit the Shift key even after we start dragging - we just need to that before release the window.
Maybe we could show a hint telling user to use the Shift key to avoid the docking!?
Thanks for the responses. I guess it is a matter of getting used to it. What tkbd suggested sounds interesting. Would it be possible to make automatic docking an option under Edit > Preferences???

I don't want to take the developers away from more important things...

Thanks,
oort
I agree with tkbd that the dock area is a little too big, having it narrower (Or being able to define it) would be very nice.
I can try to decrease the areas to see if it improves things.