Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: How to cut a cube into small cubes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm trying to cut a cube into 100 small cubes that each of them is a normal solid cube with 6 sides.

Here is what I tried:
1. Left picture was the original cube. First, I added vertices and edges.
2. Then I selected the edges accordingly. (see middle picture)
3. Finally, I used "Loop Cut".

But I didn't get what I wanted. Somehow most of small cubes don't exist there, or just have one side.

Can someone help me out? Thanks ahead!
Why not just stack 10. And then stack 10. And then stack 10 ?

BTW ... you picture depicts far more than 100 cubes.
Actually I tried to stack them up before but didn't figure out how to do it easily ...

I used "Mirror" first. It stacks up cubes easily and precisely. But all cubes are stick together as one piece. Is there a "non-sticky mirror" operation?

Then I tried "Duplicate". I got individual cube as I wanted, but I had a hard time to move it to the right place in an easy and precise manner. I wonder if I can snap/align newly duplicated cube to the surface of an existing cube?

Thanks!

PS. Yes, you're right. It's not 100. I meant to say 1000. :-)
Frank,
Try the "Put on" command in face mode. Use the RMB option to do multiple copies of the cube.

oort
I'm not sure, but I think he could to use Slice.
I'm away from my PC in order to check.
This is THE BEST WAY ...

1) Duplicate default cube with paramter or 2.0 for offset.
2) Use SHIFT D to repeat last action until you have 10 in a row.
3) Combine the 10.

Now repeat 1 - 3 with your ten.

Now repeat 1 -3 with you 100.

Done. Why is this the best ? Because it has you using very elemental approach
and tactics that can be carried over to other operation. Plus it works like crazy.

Also ... I did it in three sets of slices.

I don't think slice was DESIGNED to work with anything but independent loops. If you try to do it in 1 slice ... you mileage may vary.
It can be used Absolute->Move command with duplicate that works to create arrays.
Oort, Thanks! I tried Put on before. It seems only allow me do "put on" one by one.

Micheus, Thanks! I just tried "Slice". It worked great!
Thanks ggaliens! Somehow the page was not refreshed earlier that I didn't see your post. Just tried your method, it worked like a charm! I didn't know the Shift-D. It's really handy for this kind of operations. Thanks!