Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [fixed] Autosave and Network Storage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi, I have noticed this ever since I started storing all my important work data on servers/NAS solutions:

Autosaving does not work. A box pops up every 10 minutes (the save interval, as defined in the settings) that the file \\SERVERNAME\some\path\#something.wings~# (something like that, file name with special characters around it) "could not be found". Since the server is online and I just opened the file from there, I assume it's because of these special characters around the temp name. I know the (linux) server does have some issues from time to time with the (windows) workstation filenames if I use certain special characters.

Request: For the next version, could you please add a box to the settings that allows us to define a custom naming scheme for temp files, or alternatively, use file names that do not use special characters, like .wingsautosave? Thanks in advance.
(04-26-2017, 02:19 PM)broozar Wrote: [ -> ]Request: For the next version, could you please add a box to the settings that allows us to define a custom naming scheme for temp files, or alternatively, use file names that do not use special characters, like .wingsautosave? Thanks in advance.
I don't think that the problem is related to '#' or '~' used by Wings3D for temporary and backup file names. It probably can be related to "\\SERVERNAME\some\path\".

Anyway, thanks for report. I'm going to check the autosave action over a network path and see what happens here. Smile
I found the problem. It should be available in the next release.

By now - as a workaround - you could map the network folder as a drive.
looking forward to the next release!