Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Overwrites read only files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. Not sure whether it constitutes a bug or it's intentional but Wings will overwrite a file marked read only. There isn't even anything on the title bar to indicate you've opened a read only file though I have a vague recollection that was once the case; but I could be mistaken.

1.5.4 and 2.1.4.1 Windows 7

If someone's gone to the trouble of marking something read only shouldn't Wings respect that?

Regards

Gordon
(04-29-2017, 08:03 AM)changrilla Wrote: [ -> ]If someone's gone to the trouble of marking something read only shouldn't Wings respect that?
That happens because when we save a file the old one is renamed as backup (.wings~).

But, I think you are right. If a file is read only the user should be prompted to "Save As" a new file.
If this was to be changed it would be a nice touch to add [Read Only] to the file name in the title bar.

Interestingly, exporting to stl does warn that the target file is read only.

Cheers

Gordon
(04-30-2017, 07:54 AM)changrilla Wrote: [ -> ]If this was to be changed it would be a nice touch to add [Read Only] to the file name in the title bar.
Sure.

Quote:Interestingly, exporting to stl does warn that the target file is read only.
Other formats don't get a backup file, so you are really trying to rewrite the original file. Wink