Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Better Snap Image
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think snap image could be better.

1.) Select a face or multiple faces.
2.) Select an imported image.
3.) Right click or keyboard shortcut to snap the image.

Now this may sound similar to what it already does but I would prefer...
That when you snap the image, there is no transparent overlay. It just snaps the image to a single face or to each face selected. Like tiles, with no overlaps or worries of having to resize/scale the image. The image is perfectly snapped to the size of the face.

Maybe it should be called "Decaling"? Decal image to face.
I actually solved my issue by doing the following...

1.) Import my images.
2.) Create new Materials and name them according to the image names.
3.) Assign my images to the new materials. (Pick up image and drop to material feature in Outliner)
4.) Select and UV map each face.
5.) Assign my new materials to any face I want. (Assign to Selection feature in Outliner)

Works really good. Just takes a bit of time. Plus I can create some retro 3D by using the 16x16 images I created for my materials. Yes, it's very blocky. Biggrin
That's the right way to do what you were looking for.

I think you (in step 4) can select all the faces you want to assign the image and in the AutoUV Segmentation you select those faces and after change to Edge mode [E] you Mark all them for cut. Next, you continue the process using the projection normal.
Now, in the AutoUV Editor you select all object (islands) and center them. You also may want to scale uniform max.
At this point you even need to use the Create Texture option. The mesh already has the UV information and you can close the AutoUV Editor window, so you can just assing the material as you do in (5).
Thanks! I will try that out. Biggrin
I just got around to trying that out for multiple faces and it worked great! Thanks again micheus! Biggrin
Nice.