Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Circularise - possible issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just read about one of the new feature of Maya 2018 and I almost couldn't believe on that: Circularize

Well, Wigns3D has it available since late 2008!

Of course, they added some extra options that can be achieved combining other commands like Inset, Extrude, Scale or Tighten.
But, we can pick another axis than normal vector and define if we want to set relative or absolute diameter; And it seems like they still don't have these options. :-)

By checking Maya's features I also realised that maybe our Circularise isn't managing properly the 'Don't Flatten' option. If we apply it to a cube corner as their example we don't get that nice result:
Having a way to do the circularize in corners (as in the image) will be very nice... such a thing would make it possible to make cylinder shaped extrusions which may give, possibly, interesting, smooth seam having boolean like results.
any improvements are gratefully received - I use this feature extensively
No, I din't. And I'm not sure It's something I can "fix". That is a simple situation and it's easy for us know what to do using our eyes and brain, but for not so simple geometry I'm not sure I could to code something so smart like we can be.

So, for situations like that - a workaround seems to be apply the area percentage for each group of faces. But, we have a problem: we have the area shown in the top information line just for one face selected - not a group.

In this case, we can workaround that issue by using the Tools->Scene Info where we can get some extra information about the objects and - in this case - we are interested in the object area.

Then, we use Shell Extrude->Normal without thickness to get two different objects:
[Image: circularize-corner-1.png]

In Scene Info we have the area for these objects that shows us the entire area of the object although we would need only half of it, but it doesn't matter since we are working with percentage values.
(A1)2.40+(A2)0.96 = 3.36 wu²
A1 multiplier => 2.40/3.36 = 0.7143
A2 multiplier => 0.96/3.36 = 0.2857

We don't need to use a calculator for that, in fact we can do all these calculus directly in the Input dialog:
[Image: circularize-corner-2.png]

[Image: circularize-corner-3.png]

By rotating one area to align with the other one we can see the result is good:
[Image: circularize-corner-4.png]
thank you sir - another something I can use ☺