Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Rotation without loosing diameter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, is it possible to rotate the top area of a cylinder around x for example without loosing the diameter of the cylinder?
In the standard way the rotation of the top area deform the cylinder into a (partially) oval... Shy
Thanks for a advice !
(09-25-2017, 03:59 PM)3d_vitality Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, is it possible to rotate the top area of a cylinder around x for example without loosing the diameter of the cylinder?
In the standard way the rotation of the top area deform the cylinder into a (partially) oval... Shy
It always help if you put an image, but I think you are rotating the top of a cylinder with only the top and bottom faces - no segments (edge loop) in the middle.
If that is the case, you will need to create some edge loops in the middle of it (>= four segments - cut 4) and instead of use the Rotate command you should to select the entire object and in Vertes mode [V] use the context menu Deform->Twist->X and twist the vertices as you need.

OBS: This kind of question should be post in the Interface & Usage session - I'm moving it to there. Wink
Thanks for answer.
Perhaps I didn't understand right what you explin, but it doesn't work as expected.
I add 2 pics:
[attachment=515]
[attachment=516]

I'm looking for a method to rotate faces without the need of rescaling afterwards... hope it is clear what I mean...
Much better when we have a image. Smile

In the Collection of Tutorials pinned in this session you find this one:
Wings3D tutorials, notes and general information (a classic by Puzzled Paul)
It has a lot of useful short tutorials that can help you to understand most the Wings3D commands and its applicability.

I think the easy way would be to use Intersect command and using a dummy object:
[Image: rotate-45.png]
There is circumstances in which we can use a non so intuitive command, but it can be faster (less steps): Sweep

As you want to keep the object diameter constant it can be applied for that, but eventually you cannot control the height changing. In the image bellow the yellow cylinder is there just for reference so you can see the height is changing:
[Image: rotate-45-sweep.png]
Hi micheus,
thank you very much for help - I used the second option and it does the job perfectly. So I finished my ,pdel today.
Thanks again!
Thanks for the feedback.