Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [fixed] Help, all files corrupting!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have never had this problem in all my years of using this app, and now suddenly practically every model I save will not open says "Read failed: corrupt wings file". I noticed I keep getting wings app crashes with the Geometry Graph when trying to rename an object, just up and disappearing. I am guessing that has something to do with it, but sometimes they corrupt without that happening!?!? I can supply the corrupt models, I really need this figured out as I have been using this app for longer than I can remember and it suddenly is screwing me with everything I make!

Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
10.13.2 (17C205)
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
500 GB SSD
AMD Radeon R9 280X 3 GB

Please help!

PS- I can't find preference or a .plist for Wings3D or Erlang, to delete and try to help figure this out. Is there such a thing for this app, and if so where is it stored?

A little more info, I have ALWAYS worked in the same manner, make some progress and save a copy adding 001, 002, 003 or 1A, 1B, 1C to the end of the file name, never had an issue. So I have one version that will open, but it was before making some major changes and I would like to recover what I worked on last night. I'm afraid to even touch wings right now, I don't want to open anything just to have it get corrupted!?!?!

I deleted the app and reinstalled it, but that didn't help.

Thanks
Hi sinthetic. It's a pity you're getting this kind of problem. I never read anything about that all this years I've been following the Wings3D's forum (9 years).

I don't have access to a Mac PC, so I don't have any idea where you can find the preferences file, but I can try to check one file if you make it available. I'm going to have time for that in two days only.

Which Wings3D version are you using?
There was one which we have a issue related to save dialog show up repeatedly, but no file corruption was observed.
Don't delete any files, that will be fixed in the next wings version.

You have upgraded your mac with a OS-X new version that doesn't work with the
erlang we have in 2.1.5. Longer explanation the new zlib compression library in
MacOSX doesn't work with old erlang releases, and wings files are zlib compressed.

Which means your files are not corrupted, just that old wings can not read them.
I'll try to do a new release as fast as possible.
Ok, thank you both for the replies.

micheus I forgot to mention I was using the latest version of Wings 2.1.5, I don't usually use betas (I'm a beta tester for another 3D app) while working on important projects, just for testing. And 2.1.5 was listed as latest stable, so I was happy to use it. I only recently upgraded to High Siera.

dgud, that is great news, I was really panicking for a bit last night. It is VERY strange that based on your explanation that I was/am still able to open just one of the versions without issues. I quickly exported it out as an OBJ so that I could use it elsewhere. The model isn't anything great or have days of work put into it, just a few hours, but I really didn't want to start over, and more scary was to open any previous models in complete fear they would be corrupted.

In this case, if you do release a beta, I will be happy to test it with a copy of the model (and make something new) and put it through the paces.

I would also like to mention how thankful I am for all the work everyone has put into this app to keep it alive since Bjorn (hope I remember correctly) put this out, like I said I have been using this app for longer than I can remember. I have access to many 3D apps and ALWAYS come back to Wings3D for my base modelling, it is just too good and fast to use for my style.

I really appreciate all the new GUI updates as well as tool tweaks, always amazes me how powerful this app is. In fact I thought there was a place to donate (on old forum) to you DEVS for this, is that still around and paypal friendly? I would like to make another donation if so.

-Sin

PS- I have been a member of the old forums since 2003 I believe, but had to remake an account for this new web forum and for the life of me can't figure out how to make a new password, had to use the auto-created temp one and still have that as my password. I have looked in all the places I thought it would be, but can't figure it out. Sorry for adding this OT to this thread, but I really want to update it to something I can remember! ; )
(02-01-2018, 01:06 AM)sinthetic Wrote: [ -> ]PS- I have been a member of the old forums since 2003 I believe, but had to remake an account for this new web forum and for the life of me can't figure out how to make a new password, had to use the auto-created temp one and still have that as my password. I have looked in all the places I thought it would be, but can't figure it out.
you need to access the User CP and in the left menu look for User Profile where you must to find the Change Password option.
Thank you very much micheus!
Hello,
Any news on an update? I've been using Windows when I really need to use Wings and it is driving me absolutely mad. I am using the exact same method to make my UV texture and it simply won't work once I try and make it internal, nothing shows up. I have used the same method as I always have on Mac and it just doesn't work on PC. Steps are mark my edges, unfold, create UV Map, then make AUV external and create my textures on the map. Merge layers save and make internal...nothing!?!? I am sure you are very busy, but please give us an estimated time for when we can get a working Mac version back. Thank you very much.
Hmmm, not much activity here, guess no one else uses Wings on Mac High Sierra.

Following up with my inability to use Wings on the Mac, and having UV issues with the PC version I have found a workaround for anyone on a Mac High Sierra. For whatever reason, my exact method of using the UV system in Wings on PC just won't work, never get the file to become internal again, nothing happens?!?!

I needed a UV badly, so I went back to the Mac side where it worked immediately the very first time using the exact same tried and true method I've always used.

How I am able to use my new models in Mac, very simple, but not a good workflow. Once I start modelling in Mac, if I save and then try and open the Wings file, it will not open due to the different Libs (info from dgud) in the new Mac OS. My basic work around is to export as an OBJ. For whatever reason those files are not affected by the different Libs and import perfectly fine (be sure to export with Quadrangulation)

So for now, I am back in business using Wings on the Mac, just wanted to let everyone know if they hadn't figured this out on there own already.

Looking forward to the new update though ; )

-Sin
(03-01-2018, 01:05 AM)sinthetic Wrote: [ -> ]So for now, I am back in business using Wings on the Mac, just wanted to let everyone know if they hadn't figured this out on there own already.
It's good to know you found a way to get back to work on your projects and thanks for sharing that.

The new release is on the way. dgud and bjorng have been working on it.
Our project provider - SourgeForce - was down for the last three days. That happened many times this month, since they changed their data center. I hope this time we can stay "alive" for a long time.Smile
Hey guys, I tested the new release and was able to open my Wings models that previously wouldn't open, so the issue looks to be fixed! Thank you very much for the update all, much appreciated!

-Sin
Pages: 1 2