Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Open With (3D File) possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to right-click [context] Open With (3D File) With Wings rather than opening wings and hunting down that file ??
Are you talking about open any "3D file" with Wings3D?
Right-clicking a 3d file and having Wings on the list to open with (sorry if obtuse, but have recently dropped Mac use for Windows)
(04-13-2018, 08:05 PM)bazooka Wrote: [ -> ]Right-clicking a 3d file and having Wings on the list to open with (sorry if obtuse, but have recently dropped Mac use for Windows)
Well, usually if you don't touch the default settings in the installed that option should be there.

In my system, any .wings file I see in the Windows Explorer has the Wings3D icon assigned to it. That means if I double-click the file Wings3D will be fired and that file loaded. But, if Wings3D was already running, the Merge dialog will be shown in order to enable me to choose which elementsI want to add to my current project.

Anyway, if it's not assigned in your system you can do it by yourself. In the Windows Explorer select a .wings file and in the context menu use Open or Open With... to set the Default Program. Check this article for detailed instructions: How to Change File Associations in Windows
Thanks for the reply ☺☺ ..I do much back and forth with Wings|Maya, and would like to right-click open 3ds/obj/lwo in wings without having to open wings first and do the file|import in wings because searching for the needed file often entails much folder hopping. I would like to do wings|open with the desired object. If its not possible I can grunt along
(04-14-2018, 09:47 AM)bazooka Wrote: [ -> ]... and would like to right-click open 3ds/obj/lwo in wings without having to open wings first and do the file|import in wings because searching for the needed file often entails much folder hopping.
Sorry for the imprecise answer. No, you cannot open other than .wings files using that way. But, maybe add the option to accept the files types Wings3d can import would be a nice addition. Not as a default file loader, but giving us the option to use the approach in the previous post to use "Open With..." Wings3d.
interesting. I'll have to find the place to add default file types. 3D Exploration opens them now, but perhaps I can get it so the Open With dialogue has Wings show up. That, and the geometry panel losing focus with an operation would ease my workload immensely.

I thank you for your hard work on this magic program. It already saves me much time creating - and meeting deadlines keeps me in my seat at work.
(04-17-2018, 04:24 AM)bazooka Wrote: [ -> ]I thank you for your hard work on this magic program.
Thanks to bjorng and dgud.
My work on it is secondary. Smile