Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Edges which share a face seem to block the 'select edge loop' function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: JB31Vus.png]

If two edges have a face in common, the select edge loop function doesn't select them all correctly. This is most evident when you first place (for example) a cylinder, and try to select all the edges around one end, but there's an easy workaround there: just select the face and switch to edge mode. Unfortunately, this isn't so easy if you've already selected a whole bunch of other edges before realizing you needed all those edges selected. Or in the case of the image above, in which case there doesn't seem to be any way (other than manually clicking each one) to select only the outer edges. With only 16 edges this is just a minor annoyance, but in some cases it can be much more of a big deal. Please fix this!
(06-28-2013, 05:59 AM)flarn2006 Wrote: [ -> ]If two edges have a face in common, the select edge loop function doesn't select them all correctly.
flarn2006, take a look at this greytery's post: Edge Loops - Odds & Evens
Even he was not answered, I think this is a feature.

Quote:Unfortunately, this isn't so easy if you've already selected a whole bunch of other edges before realizing you needed all those edges selected.
After you catch this kind of issue once, you will like Undo command and Select tools (mainly if you use the Select Group window). Smile

Quote:Or in the case of the image above, in which case there doesn't seem to be any way (other than manually clicking each one) to select only the outer edges.
Mainly in the image above, it's fast to select all of them:
- select the central vertice;
- change select mode to Face [F];
- select the edge loop [L].
Wings is inconsistent in this regard.
In the case above... loop selection SHOULD stop at the 3 edge "pole" as, by definition, a pole terminates an edge loop.

However, a vert with > 4 edges is ALSO a pole, and should also terminate the edge loop, but Wings does not stop edge loop selection at these types of poles.

Many modelers use poles to limit edge loop selection and Wings' inconsistency limits this common practice.
Wings loops stops at vertices with an odd number of edges.
as far as work around steps ...
Keyboard shortcut (I) will select all the same.
using (CTRL) with box select will de-select things (if you only wanted the top, not the bottom)
if you do an INSET on those Pie-cut faces you will then be able to Edge-loop select, I use this a lot.
I've assigned shortcuts for smooth and hard edges, the marked hard edges will be cut when UV-mapping,
also there's a Manifold-lab function "Expand to Charted Region" that will expand your face selection to marked hard edges (but don't use this in UV-mode, Crashes) I've got that on a Shortcut too ....
You can also stop and edge-loop select by selecting perpendicular edges at the beginning and end of your selection
(03-06-2014, 05:17 AM)Justanother1 Wrote: [ -> ]as far as work around steps ...
Keyboard shortcut (I) will select all the same.
using (CTRL) with box select will de-select things (if you only wanted the top, not the bottom)
if you do an INSET on those Pie-cut faces you will then be able to Edge-loop select, I use this a lot.
I've assigned shortcuts for smooth and hard edges, the marked hard edges will be cut when UV-mapping,
also there's a Manifold-lab function "Expand to Charted Region" that will expand your face selection to marked hard edges (but don't use this in UV-mode, Crashes) I've got that on a Shortcut too ....
You can also stop and edge-loop select by selecting perpendicular edges at the beginning and end of your selection
thanks for explanation