Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Renders articles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't want to necro this thread but it looks to be the place where to post this. A nice article about rendering and a solid site to keep an eye on it. Hope you'll enjoy!
Fluid in a Glass - Adaptive Samples by Greg Zaal

Last week I stumbled in this old article about rendering a glass of water and then I discovered I've been doing it wrong. Smile

Usually, we have two approaches: water object very near to the glass and water object intersecting the glass a little. (overlapping faces will create dark artefacts)
For me, the last one used to bring better results.

Then, this guy brought a third option and I had to test.

I create a scene using the same materials for the three methods - except as required for the top of water - and I rendered in POV-Ray.

Which one you think looks better? I have to admit that the guy tip made it look more real (right on image).
[Image: Glass-of-Water-comparing.png]

OK, the glass doesn't look so good. Blush
I didn't care much about that for the test since I was more interested to check the results of that technique.

To fix that weird appearance we need to triangulate the mesh - credits to sciroccorics who came with this workaround in this post.