Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Wings 3D Contest ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi wings users (lovers),

Wings is a marvellous tool which, we know it all, has a chaotic and precarious existence. If we can always use it is thanks to the keen and remarkable work of some passionated developers. However, Wings 3D is not still to date the success which it deserves.
I was wondering if it was possible to set up a contest around a new Wings 3D version called 2.0 ?
It will consist to design a more attractive and new interface, new icons : new look...
I'm not a developer that's why I just focus on the general design but the idea is here and of curse we'll need developers cooperation on this project.
Then we could start a communication campaign, Facebook, Twitter, contacting specialized websites to give to the new Wings 3D more "visibility"...
Let me resume :

1/ Design contest
2/ Results
3/ Development (Winner will work with developers)
4/ Release
5/ Communication

What do you think about it ?

PS : Please excuse my poor english ^^
Quote:a more attractive and new interface, new icons : new look
Wings is being ported to the wxWidgets UI toolkit. This means the UI will have the native look on all platforms. And native is the best kind of look a program can have.
I don't agree that a native look is the end all be all. There are prices to be paid for being able to switch hit like that. Real coding efforts ... even if you use wxWidgets or Qt or some other crap that purports to level the playing field of UI. These things never really get it all done. I want my wings3d to look the same whereever I go.

If you have a roll your own GUI like Blender, WinAmp, Wings3D and many others along the way ... you can go off deep end and create hard to understand user interfaces ... but I don't think Wings3D as done that at all.
(09-11-2014, 03:54 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]I don't agree that a native look is the end all be all.
It isn't. But at least you don't have to reinvent conventional controls or go without the clipboard.
Having a clipboard would be nice. That's true.
Apart from general discussion about Wings look, some functionality could be improved. I read few post around the forum and I think the program is still and will be developed.
Anyway, for me, when I model something collected from many separeated objects I need to turn on and off them very often to see the result. So something like 'layer' would be good solution.
I know there's difference when you click in geometry graph with right or left mouse button, but that's not the same.
Since there's option to make object visible or not it's only a matter of adding some connection to new 'layer' button.
(11-27-2014, 02:14 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]when I model something collected from many separeated objects I need to turn on and off them very often to see the result. So something like 'layer' would be good solution.
That is something to be think about. Smile
Anyway, you have a way similar to that by using Folders in the Geometry Graph window.
- Select the objects you want group (like in a layer);
- Over the Geometry Graph window hit RMB and choose Create Folder;
- Select the Folder hit RMB and choose Move to Folder;

Now, when you want to Select/Hide/Lock the objects in that folder you just need to put the mouse over one of its objects and - over the option you want (cube/eyes/looker icons) you must hit the MMB.

There is a small issue with the unselect/hide/lock action in which the object over the mouse will not change the state - so, you need to use the LMB on it. (something that needs to be fixed)

Try and tell me what do you think about that.
(11-27-2014, 04:44 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2014, 02:14 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]when I model something collected from many separeated objects I need to turn on and off them very often to see the result. So something like 'layer' would be good solution.
That is something to be think about. Smile
Anyway, you have a way similar to that by using Folders in the Geometry Graph window.
- Select the objects you want group (like in a layer);
- Over the Geometry Graph window hit RMB and choose Create Folder;
- Select the Folder hit RMB and choose Move to Folder;

Now, when you want to Select/Hide/Lock the objects in that folder you just need to put the mouse over one of its objects and - over the option you want (cube/eyes/looker icons) you must hit the MMB.

There is a small issue with the unselect/hide/lock action in which the object over the mouse will not change the state - so, you need to use the LMB on it. (something that needs to be fixed)

Try and tell me what do you think about that.

To be honest I didn't tried Middle Mouse Button (only LMB & RMB) for folders in geometry graphs, but after your suggestion I found it makes easier to hide/unhide objects.

Anyhow, creating this new option would be also some improvement for Wings. I was thinking for a while about this, so if you don't mind I'd like to share with some ideas:

general layer options:

if we have folders available in geometry graph would it be possible to create logic with "undercover or hidden" folders so there will be conection through Right Mouse button (RMB) like standard Wings options?
Obviously this would be possible only for objects

General idea of working:

LMB - new window with layers shows up -> select layer and add object
Layer selected with:
LMB - added object
MMB - rename layer (more understanding names for easier work -> for example: engine parts/body/ bumpers/ etc)
remark: beside layer name, always should stay number (for geometry graph use)
RMB - shows all objects from the layer

MMB - add more layers (similar menu like 'cut') -> put number -> new layers (for example: with limatation up to 10)
RMB - shows all objects from available layers

For 'Layer' option new column with layer number would have to be added in geometry graph.
For more clean up, 'create folders' option should be kept in geometry
graph.

Check below print screen for more info:

Regards,

Hank
(11-27-2014, 06:45 PM)Hank Wrote: [ -> ]Anyhow, creating this new option would be also some improvement for Wings. I was thinking for a while about this, so if you don't mind I'd like to share with some ideas:
No problem. Good ideas should be evaluated. Mainly when them are well explained.
I added it to may "to do or not to do list". Smile
(11-27-2014, 10:07 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]I added it to may "to do or not to do list". Smile

Is there any official thread in the forum about suggestions or what will be improved in next W3D release?
When we go to "Interface & usage" part there's Fonte Boa's TOPOLOGY thread. I was thinking about the same for "Suggestions & Further release" part, so one person can keep it clean and collect all-around-forum ideas
Pages: 1 2