Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Well so long wings 3d
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Started using this back in high school when i was getting into 3d stuff, so it will always be kind of near and dear to my heart. Thing is though, ive grown quite a bit as an artist in the last few years and wings doesnt seem to have much. As much as i can tell, the only thing thats happened in the last few years are a handful of bug fixes and this has yet to really grow in a meaningful way. A bunch of the stuff that i asked for back in 2009 yes yet to even be implemented. No on screen widget, no booleans, etc. It's 2014, about to be 2015 and this thing still feels dated. It still sort of feels like sort of like something that came out in 1998. The new website gave me hope but ive started to realize that wings 3d just doesnt really seem like it wants to move forward. From what i can tell the original developers jumped ship years ago and since then we havent seen much in the way of genuine improvement. In fact, if anything, the ui only seems to be getting messy. The manifoldlab version with it's gajillion options, wall of text that pops up when you bring up the second menu (by clicking more) is kind of a troubling example of this to be honest. Wings3d is piling on crap loads of plugins without any thought as to organize them in an intelligent way. As it see it's it's simply become more bloated, cluttered, confusing, and fortunately miles less intuitive. Right now, using this thing is somewhat akin to trying to decipher technical manual. And then there are still the random bugs and quirks. Pressing the "select edge ring" hotkey in wings occasionally select the whole object instead and the only way to fix it is sometimes to quit wings.

But annyywayy, this is good bye i guess wings. I found someone else. A sleek, sexy bundle of awesomeness called silo 3D. It does everything i need to do. It is refined, elegant, and simple everything that i hoped wings could become a few years back. So long folks. Expect big things from me as i embark on my new journey. Smile
Bye-bye.
Cry bye.

Leave a quiet application ... for a dead one.
What is dead seems to be wings, ggaliens... Compare the recent wings with the one from a few years ago.. what exactly is new?
From a few years ago ? Selection groups by Micheus. Lov 'em. Maybe they are three years old.
Also ... I have seen solid evidence that wxWidgets (native dialogs) will be coming soon. I've run that version on my machine.

There have definitely been bug fixes.
.. and new features are comming, slowly but comming... anyway, haters gonna hate... Silo3D you mentioned is not for free like Wings, this is different story
Frankly, I don't see the point of something like Silo now that Blender is so good and so rapidly moving forward. Especially a non-free something like Silo.
I didn't use take time to organize information into the notes file (that come with installer), but in the last version that was pointed as new:
- Added a new option to Snap[RMB] (in Body mode) that enable the user duplicate the object between reference and target.
- Added a new option to auto save an unsaved project.
- Added support to save and restore the last view settings of a project.
- Added option to customize the grid size.
- Added a new option to Absolute-Move command (MMB) that enable the user set the reference point.
Anyway thanks guys for still taking care of this great app.
Without Wings, I'm would be sad : \ . THANK YOU
I'd like to add that the new absolute move tool is amazing. Even if you think wings isn't updating as often as you'd like, what it does add, and what it already does, are way better than any other 3D application. IMHO.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6