Wings 3D Development Forum
[workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux (/showthread.php?tid=2942)

Pages: 1 2

RE: [fixed] Jerky mouse on Linux - micheus - 06-04-2020

Thanks for testing these mouses and add these infos.

RE: [fixed] Jerky mouse on Linux - dgud - 06-05-2020

Guys how do use wings flatpak or build it yourself or some other variant.
If one of the above I could make try to make some workaround to test,
since I can't repeat the problems (corona restrictions) I'm having issues testing the linux version.

RE: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - Ravo - 06-05-2020

I can use the straight Linux version from sourceforge which is packaged as a .run file that unzips a folder with the binary in it. Flatpak is not an option, and by the time I succeed in compiling it myself the Corona pandemic will have subsided. That's about the best I can offer.

RE: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - micheus - 06-05-2020

Ravo, about the Fedora settings...

Would you check this post #16 (and the follow #17) which is from 2010, but maybe it can still be valid - it suggests the use of Xinput.
In this case, the one may be useful too: How to Change Mouse and Touchpad Settings Using Xinput in Linux

RE: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - Ravo - 06-05-2020

Those pages are nearly identical and focus solely on mouse acceleration. That and the mouse sensitivity (on the OS side) are readily available to mess with in openbox's mouse & keyboard settings screen.
I played around with this on my default mouse, which is one of the 1000hz mice that did not work. Jumping between the extreme ends of both mouse sensitivity and acceleration did not seem to affect Wings at all. I also have a button on the mouse that switches DPI on the fly at a hardware level. It also did not seem to prevent Wings from stuttering at any DPI setting.

This wasn't as extensive as what I was doing yesterday, but I'm fairly confident that mouse acceleration, mouse sensitivity, and even mouse DPI are not an issue in Wings3D. I currently believe this issue is caused only by the polling rate of the mouse used.

RE: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - micheus - 06-05-2020

Quote:I currently believe this issue is caused only by the polling rate of the mouse used.
I believe in a combination of both can be the problem.
This article explains what means each one: Mouse DPI and Polling Rates Explained: Do They Matter for Gaming?

Wings3D is supposed to receive the mouse notifications from wx library, which is getting it from the OS. (I need to check if Wings3D is doing any extra processing on this data).

RE: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - dgud - 06-06-2020

Micheus:
I'm guessing here:
The problem seems to be that wings doesn't flow control the mouse events, the mouse events
comes from a separate thread that is faster than wings can handle.
Which means that wings get overloaded and the gui-thread can produce even more mouse events.
I have worked hard to make wx thread to check events often to get mouse events, because I thought
that was the problem before. Seems I have succeeded ;/

Ravo:
I would say this is a bug in wings, but until we know how to solve this Micheus workaround is the only
solution.

I can build the wings-linux.run packages, so I could upload tests for you.
Someone used RedHat and the run package doesn't work there I suppose.

RE: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - Bram - 01-22-2021

Razer mouse on Ubuntu 20.10 here...

1000 ms polling: Jerky

500 ms polling: Jerky

125 ms polling: Good

RE: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - micheus - 01-22-2021

Yeah. It looks like.
In one of those links I shared with you the user broozar had said the same:
Quote:Using rivalcfg and setting my polling rate down to 125 gives me butter smooth rotations. Anything higher than 125 will not work

RE: [workaround] Jerky mouse on Linux - dgud - 05-12-2021

I hope this is fixed in 2.2.7