Wings 3D Development Forum
What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? (/showthread.php?tid=307)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - micheus - 07-29-2020

Thanks oort for testing these slicers and find this information about the Cura. I already fixed the exporter and updated it in my download repository.

I checked other two slicers and there was one which asked me for scale to millimeters because the model was too small (1WU=1STL) and as I skip it, it asked me to scale to inches. By skipping again it ended to load the object in millimeters - correctly 1x1x1mm.

So, we can see that most the slicers will import 1STL unit as 1mm.

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - oort - 07-29-2020

Micheus,
Thanks for the updated file.

Since all other slicers can use a scale of 1STL Unit = 1mm, I wonder if Up Studio actually needs to be scaled to 0.0393701???

I installed Up Studio. Unfortunately it seems that if you do not have a 3d printer connected you cannot import files and look at them. Maybe I did something wrong but I don't think so.

Maybe the only thing needed for the Wings3D plugin is to be able to choose the units and object scale???

Thanks,
oort

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - oort - 07-29-2020

I was able to find an older version 2.2.1 of Up (Old name for Up Studio) that will let me view the model without first being connected to a 3D printer. Using 1WU = 1cm or 1inch works as expected.

Unfortunately Up is automatically scaling up models exported as 1WU = 1mm just like Cura does. I do not see a way to turn that off yet. As long as the Wings3D model is at least 5 units in size using 1WU = 1mm the model will not be scaled automatically. The model will import as a 5mm cube.

So it may be that Up Studio files do not need to be scaled to 0.0393701??? I am assuming that Up Studio works the same as Up.

Edit: I found the following thread in the Tiertime (Up Studio) forum that confirms what I said. Up Studio assumes that you do not want a very small model so it auto scales the object. Export as 1WU = 1cm to avoid this... Up Studio Auto Scaling very small models

I also tested with Kisslicer software and models seem to import at the correct scale with that software.

oort

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - imagine - 07-30-2020

The plugin works perfectly, it's also nice the autorotate to have z axis pointing up. I've tested it in cura, meshmixer and slicer

Thank a lot!

I know of turning off autoscaling but I think it's a bad feature of cura, it's supposed you already known the scale of your model and what you really want

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - micheus - 07-30-2020

Good to hear it's working correctly. Thanks for the feedback.

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - micheus - 07-31-2020

Due to all observations we did during this process to test the plugin and slicers (most checking made by oort), we decided to remove the informative table because we conclude all the tested slicers will load 1STL unit as 1mm.

So, this is the final layout of the STL export dialog:
[Image: STL-exporter.png]

Again, if someone want to test it and give me a feedback here is the link to download the patch. Use the option File->Install Plug-in or Patch in the main menu to "replace" the original one.

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - oort - 07-31-2020

Micheus,
I tested the new version and it is working perfectly.

It works with Kisslicer software as well if you want to add that to the list??

Thanks for all your work on this.
oort

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - micheus - 08-01-2020

Quote:It works with Kisslicer software as well if you want to add that to the list??
No. I'm done with these changes. Smile

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - oort - 08-01-2020

I am sure the list of slicer software is endless... Smile

Thanks again for the added features in the STL export plugin.
oort

RE: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to? - frostic - 09-21-2021

ok so I don't know if I'm doing this right but I will explain what I'm doing and hope someone will know why I'm getting the wrong size holes.

NOTE: cura auto scaling is turned off

when I create a cylinder with a radius of 15 by setting settings like in my image below
then i use boolean to cut this out of a cube all looks good in wings but after export to stl and import to cura using the stl plugin listed above setting it to 1 STL unit
my hole that was made using 15 of the scale prints as a 30mm hole instead of 15.
same as if i make a cylinder size 3 it prints at 6mm i'm guessing that when creating a cylinder 15 does not mean 15mm?

png file

odd the little box above this text is my image but it only shows if you click the little box i don't get why its not showing lol let me try another image in jpg below

jpg file