Wings 3D Development Forum
Which Wings3D export format supports vertex colours? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Which Wings3D export format supports vertex colours? (/showthread.php?tid=1004)

Which Wings3D export format supports vertex colours? - Nova - 12-18-2014

Hey,

I need an export format that supports vertex colours, but I'm not too familiar with all the different ones Wings3D offers. Does anyone know if one of the export formats supports vertex colours?

I know .3ds and .obj doesn't, and Collada doesn't seem to work (Although I don't know if it's supposed to).

I need to get a model that has vertex colours from wings into Unity. This means the end result needs to be an FBX, which I'm using AutoDesk's FBX converter for, so I guess it has to be a format that this tool also can read.

This means .X is out.

UPDATE:
Ok it seems this is not possible at all? The FBX converter only accepts Collada, 3ds, obj, fbx and dxf. Wings doesn't export as fbx anymore (And neither does Open3Mod, so I can't go that route either).

UPDATE2:

So I was able to get this to somewhat work, by exporting the models as .FBX from Wings3D 1.3.0.1, but I'm not too happy with doing that, since the file size is massive compared to others. Fx. OBJ > FBX (With autodesk converter): 27kb. Wings 1.3.0.1 > FBX: 125kb.

Obviously the FBX exporter was dropped for a reason (unfortunately), but I don't seem to see any other way of getting a file from wings to FBX whilst maintaining vertex colours.

UPDATE3:

Another issue: FBX's from Wings 1.3.0.1 doesn't keep the origin, so the pivot will always be in the center of the object. Although obviously, there's not much to do about this, since this format has been dropped for a long time now.

RE: Which Wings3D export format supports vertex colours? - micheus - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 10:46 AM)Nova Wrote: UPDATE2:

Obviously the FBX exporter was dropped for a reason (unfortunately), but I don't seem to see any other way of getting a file from wings to FBX whilst maintaining vertex colours.
The reason is here.

(12-18-2014, 10:46 AM)Nova Wrote: UPDATE3:

Another issue: FBX's from Wings 1.3.0.1 doesn't keep the origin, so the pivot will always be in the center of the object. Although obviously, there's not much to do about this, since this format has been dropped for a long time now.
Yeas, that is past. Sorry.

ggaliens was working with something related to that (link). Maybe he has something to share.

RE: Which Wings3D export format supports vertex colours? - ggaliens - 12-18-2014

Was input of vertex colors from PLY files. Works.
Didn't look at output of colors to same format ... that I can recall.

CHECK VRML ... I think they are left behind in VRML export ... but I could be mistaken.

RE: Which Wings3D export format supports vertex colours? - Nova - 12-18-2014

The only problem is neither Unity, nor the FBX converter accepts VRML. I suppose I could look for a VRML > FBX converter, but that seem a too specific to yield any results. Wasn't VRML used as a virtual reality thing for website?

Tried looking for an X>FBX exporter, but either it cost money, or it was the other way (FBX>X).

RE: Which Wings3D export format supports vertex colours? - boredom - 02-04-2015

(12-18-2014, 09:25 PM)Nova Wrote: The only problem is neither Unity, nor the FBX converter accepts VRML. I suppose I could look for a VRML > FBX converter, but that seem a too specific to yield any results. Wasn't VRML used as a virtual reality thing for website?

Tried looking for an X>FBX exporter, but either it cost money, or it was the other way (FBX>X).

I know this is an old thread, but maybe this'll help.

You can export .wrl or .X from Wings3d, and import that into Blender which is free/open source. Then from Blender, you can export it out to FBX.

RE: Which Wings3D export format supports vertex colours? - ggaliens - 04-01-2015

Nova ... were you ever able to get some mileage out of the .WRL (vrml) export ?

My gosh ... MeshLab does not honor per-face vertex colors from the WRL file. That's weird.
BUT ... I have an old app called GLView and it shows it being output correctly to VRML. GLView and
Wings3d agree. Sad that mesh lab messes it up.

Took me forever to find a VRML viewer. It feels as PASSE.

I'll probably want to add basic PLY export to Manifoldlab and Wings core before too long.