Wings 3D Development Forum
Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Issue with the Connect Line Tool (/showthread.php?tid=1016)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - micheus - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 09:52 AM)Corey Wrote: Woah, woah! Go back a step! When we fixed the corrupted object a few posts earlier, this fixed the diagonal lines and that bump you are seeing at the bottom in smooth preview.
Ops! my bad. Smile

Quote:Unfortunately if I had to add two more symmetrical lines left and right of the middle line, I would not be able to pull this off using the same technique!

Edit: If you wish I can upload the updated model from the previous step, which removes the diagonal line. Oh and would you please be able to respond regarding Image 2, of the previous post.
For both situation I believe the problem is related your understanding about "cut and connect" things in the mesh.
But before continue, did you fixed those extra edges in the base of the car's glass?

Note that you supposedly should have made the cut using edge ring selection, but it seems you are cutting "face by face".
Related to that image 2 we notice you already did a lot of cut on the side faces but the bottom one was uncut (I know you recreate it to fix the initial problem, but even the original faces were uncut).
In that tutorial I pointed, for the 4th image (step) we get the 5th image by applying just edge ring and connect.

Take a look on this video (I added some comments):
Half of it is about fixing your mesh and the rest id about how usually you do this kind of stuff. The main process of subdivision at the final part is using: select an edge; select->edge ring [G]; connect [C] (for one cut) or [number] and connect [C] for many cut.

OBS: I'm moving this thread to the session Interface & Usage since it is more proper place than Design & Development.

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Corey - 12-25-2014

Apologies! I didn't realize there was a second page, otherwise I would have replied much earlier. I will certainly get back to you on this.

Edit: That tutorial was very thoughtful of you! Certainly helped me get to the next few steps, and has taught me more about connecting vertices and such.

Now, I can't particularly notice any faults in the program, it's just some faults on my behalf which are difficult to recognize. Anyway, would you by any chance be able to complete the tutorial? I know it's a big ask, but I'm stuck on the creation of the wheel!

Attached Image below (note that, the lines aren't exactly in perfect proportion to connect):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwyownyjm7a7da1/8.png?dl=0

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Corey - 12-31-2014

~ Bump

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Hank - 12-31-2014

@Corey

I can't see too much from the screenshot, but I think you're trying to create recess for wheel. Try to flatten the faces (Z - axis) from recess to car side and then extrude inside along Z axis.
Check also this tutorial, it's quite useful: Making a quick car in W3D

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Corey - 01-01-2015

Right, that video isn't too bad, not really a tutorial though as nothing is explained. Fortunately I believe I have had no issue with the hotkeys or commands used. Oddly enough though I have experienced some strange flaw with the wheel where its more square then circular.

Final plea for help in this thread I think! What have I done wrong with the wheels, in the following model:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7w0pumgi3pylcqr/A%20Different%20Car%20Model%201.wings?dl=0

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - micheus - 01-01-2015

Be patient, these days everyono has something more important than access the forum. Wink

I'll take a look on it tomorrow. Smile
I'm answer from my phone now.

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Stem - 01-01-2015

(01-01-2015, 01:27 AM)Corey Wrote: Final plea for help in this thread I think! What have I done wrong with the wheels, in the following model:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7w0pumgi3pylcqr/A%20Different%20Car%20Model%201.wings?dl=0

There are no wheels, only a low poly model of a car body.

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Corey - 01-02-2015

(01-01-2015, 02:04 PM)micheus Wrote: Be patient, these days everyone has something more important than access the forum. Wink

I'll take a look on it tomorrow. Smile
I'm answer from my phone now.

Sure, I have no problem with waiting. After all you are going out of your way to help out. On that note Happy new Years!

(01-01-2015, 08:25 PM)Stem Wrote: There are no wheels, only a low poly model of a car body.

Congratulations you identified the problem, there are supposed to be wheels after I applied hard edges to the exterior square-like border of the wheel. At least according to the tutorial I followed.

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - micheus - 01-02-2015

Hi Corey.
Your car looks better then the first one. You are making progress. Smile
I'm not a 3D artist, so what I say here is based on my reading and what I've experienced.

Tip 1: be careful using hard edges. If you intend to smooth your model when you finish take a look at how strange it can look sometimes:
[Image: th_car-diff1_zpsf56f72e6.png]The 3rd image is only to show you the mesh aspect "hidden" in the 2nd when we use Smooth Preview.
For situations like this you usually need to add more edge loops to "anchor/preserve" the mesh. (I never remember the right term for that)

You can make use of Smooth Preview that can help you to identify that as well to see where you need add more edges in order to get the shape more rounded.

Tip 2: Try to create quads face always - avoid tris or ngons (Why Are Ngons and Triangles so Bad?)
It's a good idea learn about the good habits too. Smile
[Image: th_car-diff2_zpsd63908fa.png]

About the space for the wheel...
You probably should have noticed that you will need more edges in order to make it rounded. I'll just show a possibility - you can use the same "idea" and apply to your model until reach the result you are looking for.
[Image: th_car-wheel_zpsjyf9esqq.gif]
[Image: th_car-diff3_zps5a4855b1.png]

It seems you have (again) a problem with the mesh in the rear space for wheel - that extra faces. Here is how to fix it:
[Image: th_car-diff4_zps6c8ce5ac.png]Take care about these strange artifact and avoid headache. Wink

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Corey - 01-02-2015

(01-02-2015, 07:32 AM)micheus Wrote: Your car looks better then the first one. You are making progress. Smile
Well thats good to hear, my models are not quite at selling point though!

(01-02-2015, 07:32 AM)micheus Wrote: I'm not a 3D artist
But you certainly have skills in that area.

(01-02-2015, 07:32 AM)micheus Wrote: Tip 1: be careful using hard edges. If you intend to smooth your model when you finish take a look at how strange it can look sometimes.
I actually couldn't notice a great difference... I probably don't have the best eye for model detailing, at this point. But from what I gathered smooth preview added a little ridge and smoothing out the entire model pushed the hard edge further back?

(01-02-2015, 07:32 AM)micheus Wrote: Tip 2: Try to create quads face always - avoid tris orngons
I don't think I'm not quite on the level of actually stopping nygons and triangles, but I i'll try and keep this in mind.

(01-02-2015, 07:32 AM)micheus Wrote: About the space for the wheel...
That guide for fixing the front wheel was perfect, if you have the time do you think you could help me out with the back wheel? I tried to follow the same steps, but it just doesn't look 100% accurate to the front.

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1xl6w1oskpluk7/9.png?dl=0

(01-02-2015, 07:32 AM)micheus Wrote: It seems you have (again) a problem with the mesh in the rear space for wheel - that extra faces.
I seriously don't know how I do it, extra edges somehow form from time to time.

One final question:
How did you create that perfectly fitting wheel? And not exactly world threatening but why is it a different color to the rest of the model in that attached image?

Now, too my own surprise I seem to be going half-decent in making a helicopter.

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p98rfnoqf7g2um7/10.png?dl=0