Wings 3D Development Forum
Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Issue with the Connect Line Tool (/showthread.php?tid=1016)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - micheus - 01-02-2015

(01-02-2015, 08:20 AM)Corey Wrote: That guide for fixing the front wheel was perfect, if you have the time do you think you could help me out with the back wheel? I tried to follow the same steps, but it just doesn't look 100% accurate to the front.

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1xl6w1oskpluk7/9.png?dl=0
Yeah, I can try (for tomorrow Wink)
Supposed the rear wheel is going to have the same size the front one, maybe the first step would be ensure the two "gaps" have the same size. Then, ensure they have the same amount of segments.

Please take a look at my smooth preview image and yours. It seems your forgot one step near to the end of the gif sequence which the initial edge loop created at begin was "rearranged" and had the up edges removed and the vertices was connected to reorganize the mesh. Also, it seems you added an extra edge sequence to the top:
[Image: car-9_zpsd0cb7fcc.png]
If you see that kind of discontinuance on the mesh in Smooth Preview mode, then something is wrong and you need to review your work.

Quote:One final question:
How did you create that perfectly fitting wheel? And not exactly world threatening but why is it a different color to the rest of the model in that attached image?
First I checked the max diameter it could have by selecting two vertices in from the bottom of the "gap" - it was about 0.81. Then I create a cylinder with a radius of 0.4 (0.3 for the height and 14 sessions because you can count about 7 segments in the area for the wheel we just created)
The color is different just because my Theme uses default material as blue.

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - micheus - 01-02-2015

Ok, I got some free time today. Smile

First of all, just now I noticed the fix for the rear "wheel gap" I suggested you before didn't really fixed that. Sorry.
So, starting for that actions, I created a new sequence that this time will fix it. Smile
[Image: th_car-whell-fixe_zpsl9cof1wq.gif]

Now that everything is ok, we can work to make the "wheel gap" rounded:
[Image: th_car-whell-gap_zpsckmmzdd4.gif]

obs: I din't took care about your non quads faces - I didn't fix them.

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Corey - 01-03-2015

Ahh here we go!

(01-02-2015, 06:48 PM)micheus Wrote: obs: I didn't take care about your non quads faces - I didn't fix them.
Them poor non quads faces, haha. All good.

Ok those fixes were perfect! I'm glad you had the time to help out as the car looks mighty fine now and that's the best model I have made so far.

Now as I've been working on the helicopter I have run into one small issue, in
the following tutorial: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wings_3D/Tutorials/Modeling_a_2_Blade_Propeller

This tutorial requires you to "Select a region of the cylinder, and make a contour with 0 value. Then requires you to hit tab and set Dx to 0". Now my problem is that there is no contour tool and what is dx! The inset tool doesn't seem to do the same job. Just a simple sentence telling me how can I achieve the same result without the tool would be much appreciated!

Once again, thanks for all your help so far!

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - micheus - 01-03-2015

(01-01-2015, 01:27 AM)Corey Wrote: This tutorial requires you to "Select a region of the cylinder, and make a contour with 0 value. Then requires you to hit tab and set Dx to 0". Now my problem is that there is no contour tool and what is dx!
Yeah, maybe the descriptions and images in the tutorial aren't so synchronized. Smile
Select that region as shown, then (as in the next description) select the edge loop around the region [L]. Now you should use our "old" and known Circularize command. Wink
The zero value means you just select the command in the menu item [LMB] and without move the mouse or do anything else, just click the [RMB] to run the command. Done!

(01-03-2015, 04:03 AM)micheus Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 01:27 AM)Corey Wrote: This tutorial requires you to "Select a region of the cylinder, and make a contour with 0 value. Then requires you to hit tab and set Dx to 0". Now my problem is that there is no contour tool and what is dx!
Yeah, maybe the descriptions and images in the tutorial aren't so synchronized. Smile
Select that region as shown, then (as in the next description) select the edge loop around the region [L]. Now you should use our "old" and known Circularize command. Wink
The zero value means you just select the command in the menu item [LMB] and without move the mouse or do anything else, just click the [RMB] to run the command. Done!

Right, thanks for covering the step after the contour tool! Which asks you to have 100% circularize with no value. But what about the contour and dx commands, just before this. The circularize alone does not give the protruding cylinder.

(01-03-2015, 03:47 AM)Corey Wrote: But what about the contour and dx commands, just before this. The circularize alone does not give the protruding cylinder.
Sorry, I read the tutorial too fast and didn't pay the needed attention to this.

You were almost right in this comment:
Quote:This tutorial requires you to "Select a region of the cylinder, and make a contour with 0 value. Then requires you to hit tab and set Dx to 0". Now my problem is that there is no contour tool and what is dx! The inset tool doesn't seem to do the same job. Just a simple sentence telling me how can I achieve the same result without the tool would be much appreciated!
Yes, the Contour was an old tool (I found a video about it from 2008 - before I start with Wings3D). It seems to have became the Inset command.

Inset is a powerful command in my opinion I use it a lot.
Remember: pay attention to the Information Line during your process of choose an item from the menu: you will noticed you have three options (types) for Inset command depending on you click the mouse with [LMB], [MMB] or [RMB]. You probably used the LMB option that plays with every face. For this case you are looking for RMB option.

Take a time to watch some poor videos I did about this command (there are four). These (silly) videos can show you a little about the options available and where in the Wings3D UI you have to pay attention for its feedback.

Right so for this particular tutorial I would use just RMB, no numbers? With the inset tool?

Yes.
To input the numbers, as informed in the tutorial, you can hit TAB key during the command operation - as you can do for many Wings3D commands.

I need to go back use my short free time to code.long answers like this take all that time. Don't worry if it takes time until you get other answer from me. Smile
Check the Wings3d's YouTube channel too.

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - Corey - 01-05-2015

(01-03-2015, 10:09 AM)micheus Wrote: Yes.
To input the numbers, as informed in the tutorial, you can hit TAB key during the command operation - as you can do for many Wings3D commands.

I need to go back use my short free time to code.long answers like this take all that time. Don't worry if it takes time until you get other answer from me. Smile
Check the Wings3d's YouTube channel too.

Right, I am getting a strange extrusion but will continue messing around with the inset tool hoping to get the appropriate result.

RE: Issue with the Connect Line Tool - micheus - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 01:28 AM)Corey Wrote: I am getting a strange extrusion
I just realize that you got that strange geometry for the rear wheel gap by making extrusion to inside of the model.
If you take a look on that fist car tutorial I linked, you will notice the guy uses a best way to do that without get the bed geometry.

About your last post, I just told I can delay to try answer you, not I wouldn't do that. Smile
Also, I'm sure other users can try to help you too. Wink