Wings 3D Development Forum
Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... (/showthread.php?tid=1032)

Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - ggaliens - 01-11-2015

Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ...

I want to be able to UVMap by hard-edges only and also have all my pre-existing materials be honored (still work) after AutoUV Mapping.

Is this possible ?

My materials don't seem to select anymore after AutoUV.

I will post a video of my troubles if need be.

Seems like AutoUV needs to use an auto uv material in order to attach an image.
I wonder if I can just get it to assign the UVs and no image.

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - Nova - 01-11-2015

I've never seen it be able to do that. AutoUV will always auto-generate a new material and assign it to everything you're unwrapping.

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - micheus - 01-11-2015

(01-11-2015, 12:48 AM)ggaliens Wrote: I want to be able to UVMap by hard-edges only and also have all my pre-existing materials be honored (still work) after AutoUV Mapping.
UVMap by hard-edges you know Wings3d already do. The hard edges used in the model will be automatically used as "Mark for cut" action in AutoUV.
But, once you assigned the UVmap to your model you are creating a material for that. So, there is no way to use the previous set material colors. As I know, it works this why for every 3d software.

Quote:I wonder if I can just get it to assign the UVs and no image.
You can do that.
I use to UVmap models which I will use a UVmap material from the render engine (like in Kerkythea), by just ignoring it.
The UV info is an attribute of the vertex and the image is s material attribute. So, if you edit the material and delete the texture, the information about the UV map will still be there. Of course that is not the right thing, but it can serves to you. (mainly if you want code that).

You have the option to convert your color materials to Vertex color attribute, that will also be available even if your model is using the UVMapped material and then you can use Select->Similar Material->Vertex Color and get them selected.

Again, if you are thinking to do that by coding, I believe you have all the tools you need already in the Wigns3D code.

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - Stem - 01-11-2015

(01-11-2015, 02:14 AM)micheus Wrote: But, once you assigned the UVmap to your model you are creating a material for that.
It is Wings creating the new material, not the user.

(01-11-2015, 02:14 AM)micheus Wrote: So, there is no way to use the previous set material colors. As I know, it works this why for every 3d software.
Of the various 3d modeling applications I have used, only wings destroys the material zones and replaces the set materials with its own default when creating a UV map.

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - micheus - 01-11-2015

(01-11-2015, 06:35 AM)Stem Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 02:14 AM)micheus Wrote: But, once you assigned the UVmap to your model you are creating a material for that.
It is Wings creating the new material, not the user.
words man. It's obvious you are not over controls about that. Dodgy

Stem Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 02:14 AM)micheus Wrote: So, there is no way to use the previous set material colors. As I know, it works this why for every 3d software.
Of the various 3d modeling applications I have used, only wings destroys the material zones and replaces the set materials with its own default when creating a UV map.
Ok, I'm wrong. I should have used "some" instead of "every".

Wings3D doesn't have a direct way to do that - every one that uses Wings3d seriously knows, but I'm going to show how I do that when I need:
[Image: multiple-uvs_zps4822d31d.jpg]
check this thread.

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - ggaliens - 01-11-2015

I would like to identify some parts of AutoUV to be made more "available" via function exports.

But I'm patient and can poke at it from the outside for time being. I know you guys are busy with WxWidgets tinkering. I hope that goes well and thanks in advance.

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - ggaliens - 01-12-2015

First time I ever tried beveling UV coordinates today. The results are odd it seems ... but nearly works. Anyone else ever try beveling after UV coordinates applied ?

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - micheus - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 04:30 AM)ggaliens Wrote: First time I ever tried beveling UV coordinates today. The results are odd it seems ... but nearly works. Anyone else ever try beveling after UV coordinates applied ?
Unfortunately, commands that create new geometry don't take care about the UV info - You don't get troubles if use cut commands.
I think maybe it would be difficult to guess what to do with it - what material to use in the new face if the edge was surrounded by two different materials.

So, the recommendation is to unwrap the objects only after you finish your model. (I think that should be the usual Undecided)

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - ggaliens - 01-12-2015

I agree ... if all command had to honor existing UVs ... it would be a nightmare to get more things done. That's for sure. The result I got was probably 100% haphazard and I just thought it was close to working.

I just run another simple UVMap command after bevel to fix it. I have been writing some UV mapping code from ground upwards in Wing/Erlang.

http://youtu.be/8M_Baefr-ww

RE: Need Solid AutoUV Help ... Please ... - VladD - 01-12-2015

Quote:Unfortunately, commands that create new geometry don't take care about the UV info - You don't get troubles if use cut commands.
But do you think that it would be feasible to add an auto-UV adjustment when sliding existing edge loops? As long as you'd use the Slide command in relative/percentage mode at least, and probably when/if the slided loops equates non-border edges in the corresponding UV shells?