Wings 3D Development Forum
"Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" (/showthread.php?tid=108)

"Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - Cliff - 12-13-2012

I have a Mac Mini With OSX ver 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) installed. Processor is a 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo. Has 8 GB (1067 MHz DDR3) Ram. I'm running Wings3D Ver. 1.4.1

I keep receiving an "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" when trying to import a known good .svg file for use in extrusions into Wings3D (I have Inkscape Ver 0.48 installed).

In Inkscape I tried to save as a "plain SVG" rather than an "Inkscape SVG." That didn't change the error. Saved as *.ps and *.eps files as well and got a "PS import internal error" message for both from Wings.

I've imported the Inkscape SVG files into other solid modeling programs with no issue whatsoever, so don't understand what the hangup is. Am I missing a plugin or something? Thanks for any help that you can provide.

RE: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - oort - 12-13-2012

Cliff,
I just tried an SVG with Windows XP and Inkscape 0.46 and it worked.

Make sure you have a closed path.

You can export a .SVG from Gimp as well. I simply create a path > close it with Ctrl click on the starting point > Stroke Path > Export Path. I can't remember if Gimp comes with .SVG export by default or if you have to add it.

Support for Inkscape .ps and .eps got broken when Inkscape went from 0.46 to 0.47. They changed something that messed things up and is the reason optigon added .svg support. Hopefully Inkscape didn't change something in 0.48 that messed up .svg support. You may want to give Gimp a try. I don't have the courage to upgrade my Inkscape from 0.46 to see what happens.

oort

RE: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - Cliff - 12-13-2012

Thanks man. :-)

RE: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - Ryan - 06-04-2013

I've been trying this. It's almost always a fail unfortunately because this is an extremely useful feature. I got one to work but that was a very simple plain path. All imports work to Blender though.

Wow, Inkscape can't even re-open the documents again that I'm trying to load into Wings.

RE: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - oort - 06-04-2013

Ryan,
It has been a while since I have played with svg. To give you a little history on the feature read the following thread in the old forum... SVG Import in old forum

Quote:Since the .ps importer was broken by the latest Inkscape .47, I decided to try a .svg importer.
The importer itself is limited to paths so you will need to convert objects to paths before saving in Inkscape.
Also, it is best if you save as a Plain svg as opposed to the default, but this is only because the default svg
will occassionally use the arcto directive for which there is no support in this importer.

I have had success using svg export form the Gimp. I am afraid to upgrade my Inkscape so I am still using Version 0.46

The Blender importer may not be as picky about the files it gets??? Looks like the Wings3D svg importer may need some more work but it would require someone to be interested enough to work on it... Sad

oort

RE: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - tkbd - 06-07-2013

Cliff,
I using a way to avoid the "wings3d import-error" by creating a SVG data well in Inkscape(v0.48.2 ), also I have use OSX too.
If the following objects(Line,Shape,Text) are contained in your data under edit by Inkscape,cope with it before SVG saving.

There are the following methods(with Inkscape).
  • A Line make by Path Tool : Should be Closed path.
  • A Shape(for example a circle or a rectangle ) make by Shape Tool : Convert Outline path , Use Menu "Path> Object To Path"
  • A Text object : Select object ..., and Menu "Path> Object to path" (but this outlined-object is not closed path yet ),so need it make closed path ,
    Next.... select the outlined-text-object and apply command, "Path> Union", at last "Path>Break apart" ( now it is changed to a closed path.)

http://brace.client.jp/w3d_hd/test.html#6
It illustrated to this URL (I might rewrite more easy-to-understand draw this someday....).

RE: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - giaco - 10-07-2019

hi, wings3d 2.2.4
I can import the test file "inkscape-091_plain_ok.svg" but when I try with inkscape 0.92.4 I get the "Inkscape .svg path import internal error".
I've tried a closed path or a shape converted to path and saved it as plain svg.
Maybe something has changed in inkscape?
Thanks for any suggestion.

RE: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - micheus - 10-07-2019

Something was changed and I found this article talking about that: https://www.davidrevoy.com/article596/new-inkscape-0-92-breaks-your-previous-works-done-with-inkscape

But, since you already is using ,0.92.4 then it's something different and it needs to be verified. That will not happen sooner, sorry.

RE: "Inkscape .svg path import internal error" - giaco - 10-08-2019

I see, as workaround it seems that I can save the file in ps/eps format and wings3d will open it.