Wings 3D Development Forum
Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" (/showthread.php?tid=1131)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - Neon22 - 04-11-2016

some changes have been made to eth msysgit package - it now wants to be in ProgramFiles(x86) and sets up environments in several choices on install.
I diverted it into wingsdev and everything almost worked but collision with my existing Haskell install and ld prevented make from completion. (ld.exe was from Haskell).
I took the easy path and removed Haskell.
But still no ld.exe.
Here is the last lines of the make attempt.
CC jmemnobs.lo
CCLD libjpeg.la
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -link
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libjpeg.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/wingsdev/src/jpeg-9b'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Obviously c:/mingw was there from before also.
Any clues or am I going to have to break all my other environments to get it working Sad

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - micheus - 04-11-2016

(04-11-2016, 11:15 AM)Neon22 Wrote: some changes have been made to eth msysgit package - it now wants to be in ProgramFiles(x86) and sets up environments in several choices on install.
The installer allow you to install it in another place other than Program Files folder as well as to install a "portable" version which must reduce the needs for Environment variables changes.

Quote:Here is the last lines of the make attempt.
CC jmemnobs.lo
CCLD libjpeg.la
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -link
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libjpeg.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/wingsdev/src/jpeg-9b'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I think the jpeg module isn't needed anymore.

I have used my own dev build that is not exactly the one proposed in the past. I'm using MinGW-w34 plus the Git for Windows and I work in the Git bash to rebuild Wings3d. (portable, running in a memory stick)

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - ggaliens - 04-11-2016

Neon22

Please don't take this the wrong way ... it is 2016. Buy a cheap SSD and dedicate it to Wings development. Or make a VM (harder) and dedicate it to wings development. Don't mix and match your development environments. I can not stress this enough.

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - ggaliens - 04-12-2016

Neon. Back when I was committed to writing plain old plugins and not interested in compiling and building entire WINGS ...

I would INSTALL a binary/installer version of Wings3d. And then I would "Pad that environment out" With just enough wings headers and things that I could build my plugins.

The total steps to do that and start writing plugins was amazingly low. I didn't have MSYS or cygwin or any of those gobs of things. I just had MAKE for win32 and a few other faux unix tools and some headers and sources for Erlang. That't it. I don't know many people that did it that way ... but it sure worked.

So long long ago.

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - dgud - 04-12-2016

We should write new instructions, jpeg and esdl is not needed and git is included in msys2.
Use MSYS2 (64bits version) and everything is available as packages, i.e. pacman -S git emacs.
OpenCL is (kind of) needed, at least the header files are needed.

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - micheus - 04-15-2016

(04-09-2016, 11:37 PM)Neon22 Wrote: I know its a hassle Micheus but is now a good time to update the howto dev post to show how to use wxwidgets instead of SDL ?
or can you point me in right direction...
Neon22, I just finish updating the Windows environment. Please let me know if something doesn't works for you.