Wings 3D Development Forum
Selecting multiple items in Geometry Graph - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Selecting multiple items in Geometry Graph (/showthread.php?tid=1143)

Selecting multiple items in Geometry Graph - robell424 - 04-11-2015

I have come across several comments here and there on the web suggesting that it is possible to select multiple items in the Geometry Graph window, for example, to use the bulk name change function. It seems IMPOSSIBLE that there wouldn't be that capability but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it! Someone, please stop the needless suffering.

RE: Selecting multiple items in Geometry Graph - micheus - 04-12-2015

(04-11-2015, 02:53 AM)robell424 Wrote: ..., for example, to use the bulk name change function.
Are you taking about that?

specifically what you see at 1:30 ?!

RE: Selecting multiple items in Geometry Graph - ptoing - 07-28-2015

Something related I was thinking about the other day.
If you got a bunch of objects, say you are making a hamburger, you will have buns, patties and other ingredients. Now you all made those from cubes and similar primitives, so nothing has proper names.

When selecting them all and using the rename function to give different names to them you can not really know which is which unless you check before and memorise, which is tedious. Or you do them one by one, also tedious.

So I thought it would be nice if the object on which the text cursor is focused could change selection colour to yellow or something like that. So you would see in realtime which object will be getting its name changed.

RE: Selecting multiple items in Geometry Graph - micheus - 07-28-2015

(07-28-2015, 02:33 PM)ptoing Wrote: When selecting them all and using the rename function to give different names to them you can not really know which is which unless you check before and memorise, which is tedious. Or you do them one by one, also tedious.
That is why you have the option to rename a group of selected objects. It's easy to select many objects in the geometry window (using marquee) and then using rename [RMB] which enable you to rename these objects with the same name followed by a sequential number.

Quote:So I thought it would be nice if the object on which the text cursor is focused could change selection colour to yellow or something like that. So you would see in realtime which object will be getting its name changed.
But, that operation would be done for one object each time, so it's easy to just click in the eyes icon (hide/show) and discover which object is it.

I think you did not understand me properly (partly due to my wording I am sure).

Let me try again.

Imagine you make a complex object, but you have not named stuff as you went. It is not a matter of naming thing like "complex object 1", "complex object 2" but more like "top cover", "wheel-front-left", "wheel-front-right", "axle" and so on. But instead of naming them all one at a time, you should be able to select them all and just RMB > Rename. Which will by default give you a list of all items to rename and you can TAB around the list.

But while you do this you do not see which object you are renaming, and this is not helpful if you got a bunch of objects named cube,cylinder then a number and so on. So the object whose name you are tabbed on could be highlighted with a different highlight colour as I stated above.

The rename menu I mean is the one you get into when you either select from the Geo Graph rename with MMB or if you just select objects and use the normal RMB menu and LMB on rename.

Hope this was a bit clearer.

Yeah! Much clear now. Smile

Nice Smile I reckon such a feature would not be too hard to implement?

I'm not sure. That will take a time to be checked (and I don't have it now). I can't affirm I'll check in it soon.

No pressure. Anyone contributing anything to Wings3D is awesome in my book.