Wings 3D Development Forum
Multiple View Ports - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Multiple View Ports (/showthread.php?tid=124)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Multiple View Ports - maker - 12-25-2012

(12-24-2012, 08:54 PM)optigon Wrote: After studying several design documents on user interface and experience, I have come to the conclusion that the infoline is badly designed.
This is why tooltips in most programs, commonly appear beneath the cursor, because that is where the user is looking.

I don't think I agree with you here. In some programs, including Autocad & clones, they can come in the way. Or are so brief, that they are gone before you've properly read them.

Of course, in Autocad (& like), they are repeated at the command-line or neatly arranged as context menus at one side (from which you can choose). And they're more in-your-face.

To me, it seems that the problem may be that the info is divided - "info" on top, tips at bottom. (Not to mention, RMB menus.) And the selection info at top can be what you notice first.

Some suggestions would then be:
- group both lines;
- have it more in-your-face (but out of the way of the cursor Smile) - arranged neatly on one side or at bottom of geom-window. OR at bottom, as now, but as additional line, so you are more likely to notice it.
- have a start-up screen - as in FreeCAD, with a few tips about the interface, links to tutors, gallery, etc., on it.

(BTW, the Sketchup interface is similar looking to yours (but lot less RMB menus) - with the info / tip line at bottom. BUT the start-up screen is full of Beginner-level, follow-along, tutors. Something like Fonte Boa's video tutors, but interactive . )

RE: Multiple View Ports - optigon - 12-25-2012

I didn't mean to imply that I was going to go the tooltip route, just that the current implementation of the infoline isn't completely effective and it might be worth exploring alternatives. Mostly I find the infoline ineffective when used with menus since the eye is in two diferent places. As a general reminder of camera actions and such, I think it's okay.

RE: Multiple View Ports - maker - 12-25-2012

Sorry. I'm not the brightest kid on the block Smile

Merry Christmas - to you and all - anyway Smile

RE: Multiple View Ports - optigon - 12-25-2012

No no don't appologise, clearly I said tooltip.

Happy holidays Smile

RE: Multiple View Ports - oort - 12-25-2012

As a former Autocad user, I got used to looking at the "command line" which is similar to the concept of the "information line". I noticed long ago that new users of Autocad would forget to keep an eye on the command line and would get lost.

Having the prompts near the mouse pointer would be an interesting concept. I imagine you would want the text floating with an alpha background so that the model is not hidden by the prompts.

oort

RE: Multiple View Ports - optigon - 12-26-2012

Mockup to show how duplication of toolbar and status bar could be avoided.
This approach also saves space.
I made these in LibreOffice Calc in case anyone wants to know.

RE: Multiple View Ports - maker - 12-26-2012

(Just in case it's usefulSmile In Autocad, short R-click = ENTER (Validate Command, or Repeat Previous) A longer R-click gives you the Context Menu (= command prompts neatly lined, like Wings'.) you can remove either, if you want. Newer Autocads allow you to click-choose from the Commandline.

(12-25-2012, 11:28 PM)oort Wrote: Having the prompts near the mouse pointer would be an interesting concept. I imagine you would want the text floating with an alpha background so that the model is not hidden by the prompts.
oort

I agree. Alternatively, it could be moveable.

But I still think my original idea can still be useful: A startup screen with a short intro to the screen, and tips. Like: Look at the Infoline! Look at the top bar! Look at the R-Menu! NEVER MIND THE SQUINT! (Just kidding Biggrin) But, seriously, didn't Fonte Boa suggest moving Top Bar Info to the bottom?

RE: Multiple View Ports - optigon - 12-26-2012

Making a box/window appear in plain view could work to attract the attention of the user.
It would certainly shrink the visibility of the model, but the box could disappear when the mouse leave the Menu.

Adding a help box at launch could work too. Not sure who the winner is on education vs intuitiveness when it comes to ui design.

RE: Multiple View Ports - Fonte Boa - 12-26-2012

The top menu like you layouted, Optigon, will generate a cascade of commands. Today user clicks: Tools|Connect. In your scheme he will have to click: Wings3D|Tools|Connect...... The access to all those commands will be harder.

RE: Multiple View Ports - maker - 12-26-2012

(12-26-2012, 10:24 AM)Fonte Boa Wrote: The top menu like you layouted, Optigon, will generate a cascade of commands. Today user clicks: Tools|Connect. In your scheme he will have to click: Wings3D|Tools|Connect...... The access to all those commands will be harder.

Hmm, that's right. And something like Select|Edge Loop|Every nth ring could be ... pretty confusing Smile

Optigon Wrote:I made these in LibreOffice Calc in case anyone wants to know.
I have LibreOffice too, but I never knew it was so flexible. It's not even the new year, and already my brain is waking up to a lot of new, interesting information. Biggrin