Wings 3D Development Forum
Multiple View Ports - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Multiple View Ports (/showthread.php?tid=124)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Multiple View Ports - Fonte Boa - 12-26-2012

<< And something like Select|Edge Loop|Every nth ring could be ... pretty confusing >>

Menus in cascade arent confortable. Sad

----------

If i understood correctly Optigon pictures, the idea is to put top menu, toolbar and display bar out of the geometry windows (Info Line is already out). This sounds good once can generate a cleaner workarea for those users that work with more than one Geometry window (not my case).
The alternative idea to this is equally keep all geometry windows cleaner, EXCEPT the active one. The advantage for multi-windows users is that all the things will remain closer the cursor, and not far away it, at top workspace area, outer the geometry windows.

Another idea, Optigon (no matter which scheme will you in fact implement), is to consider that the geometry window title bar is a great waste of of space, since it just contains a short text like "Geometry # x". So, why not to put the top menu in this bar (side the name of the window)???

In 3dsmax, for example, the viewports (in Wings they are called Geometry windows) dont have title bars, just a top left right click short menu to change the orientation (top, front, back) and the shader in use in that viewport. If you have a 4 viewports scheme, you can by a hotkey maximize any of them and return to original scheme by using the same hotkey (maximize/restore). You still have an "expert mode" by which all the menus, tabs, panels disappears to let user work by hotkeys and context menus: this is very useful.
None viewport has a title bar: this doesnt make any sense.

Another point in your scheme pictures i think can be apprimorate is that Geometry window roll-up ("view", "resize"). It could be acessed by a title bar right click, like already happens to size the window.

Display bar in my opinion should remain as an element of each geometry window and not as an external one, because, as external, it would consume a valious space of wings area (side to side). It could be optimized to never breaks in two lines (if the text to be presented there can be set in a single line). And finally it could have a similar funcionality of 3dsmax viewports (right click on it to change viewport orientation, shader in use, show/hide ground plane and axis tripod, etc).

RE: Multiple View Ports - Fonte Boa - 12-27-2012

Quote:oort: Having the prompts near the mouse pointer would be an interesting concept. I imagine you would want the text floating with an alpha background so that the model is not hidden by the prompts.

maker: I agree. Alternatively, it could be moveable.

optigon: but the box could disappear when the mouse leave the Menu

---------------

The idea is excitant.
But to be readable and with the same amount of information users already have in botton Info Line (for example, all the commands variants listed) it will have to be big (or incomplete/summit). This is still confuse to me.

Today when i select some faces eg, right click to context menu and highlight Move command eg i can read in Info Line all the Move command variants i have. I ask: considering flyout Info Line, where would this info be displayed? Over item Move of the context menu? Or over selection? (it would be a big box.....)

Otherway, this window could be fixed and moveable, as maker remembered: good idea, kind of prompt, better dimensionable, maybe interactive in the future.

An ostensive flying-and-blinking instruction box, ever side the cursor (or under it), during all modelling work isnt my Info Line dream. Huh

Anyway if it could disappear just dragging the mouse would be better than have to wait until the mouse "leave the Menu" (i think you referred to "drag mouse until cursor goes out of flying Info Line").

Have you already considered an general Wings key (F1?) that turns on this widget and just keep Info Line out Geometry window as it already is?

RE: Multiple View Ports - nemyax - 12-28-2012

(12-24-2012, 07:08 PM)optigon Wrote: Wx has the shortfall of not supporting right and middle button mouse clicks in menus.
Is this a fundamental design issue or just hard (but possible) to add?

RE: Multiple View Ports - micheus - 12-28-2012

(12-28-2012, 02:37 PM)nemyax Wrote: Is this a fundamental design issue or just hard (but possible) to add?
wx uses the OS[SO] resources - it should be the reason. And without OS[SO] support, this kind of menu needs to be implemented.

Edit: I used the portuguese acronym, sorry.

RE: Multiple View Ports - nemyax - 12-29-2012

(12-28-2012, 03:37 PM)micheus Wrote: [wx uses the SO resources
Do you mean OS resources? Romance word order? =)

RE: Multiple View Ports - Geta-Ve - 01-06-2013

Having simply skimmed over the topic, my input here may not be all that valuable, so take it with a grain of salt.

When I am using wings, I never use more than 1 view. The only windows I have open are the geo and the outliner / gGraph.

What I would love to see in wings re viewports, is more simplicity in functionality. As mentioned previously, there is absolutely no need to have the toolbar duplicated on each viewport, so that is an obvious fix.

Another thing is the ability to resize from any edge / corner.

Thirdly, I would love being able to fit everything in the Wings window automatically, either in the form of a 'Fit' function or simple saved viewports, more inline with how most of applications handle them, wherein when you resize one viewport, the others resize accordingly.

This would help when I want to quickly geo to my gGraph and outliner, but don't want to obscure my model.

Also, perhaps I am in the minority here, but I dont see much use in being able to 'collapse' the geometry windows into their title bars.

Cheers. Smile

RE: Multiple View Ports - maker - 01-06-2013

='Geta-Ve' pid='1077' dateline='1357441992']
Another thing is the ability to resize from any edge / corner.
[/quote]

+1. How could I forget this? I am reminded of it every time I want to resize the windows without moving them.

Quote:Thirdly, I would love being able to fit everything in the Wings window automatically, either in the form of a 'Fit' function or simple saved viewports, more inline with how most of applications handle them, wherein when you resize one viewport, the others resize accordingly.

This would help when I want to quickly geo to my gGraph and outliner, but don't want to obscure my model.

Also, perhaps I am in the minority here, but I dont see much use in being able to 'collapse' the geometry windows into their title bars.

To me, there are advantages / disadvantages to both ways. Automatically resizing all windows may mean one becoming long and narrow. But it does produce a cleaner interface.

Oh, you probably mean all the non-Geo windows, where it would be nice. An alternative is to have it neatly aligned on one / two side - as in Gimp (latest). (With horizontal scrollbars to avoid the mess in the Geo-Graph with long names. Smile ) Or snap-able, narrow windows as in Sketchup.

Collapsing the Geo into title bars can clear up the clutter fast when using more than one. But I prefer working with a perspective view and an orthographic view. I can understand it from the viewpoint of people using only one Geo.

Just my 2c Smile