Wings 3D Development Forum
Status bar info - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Status bar info (/showthread.php?tid=127)

Status bar info - optigon - 12-25-2012

Thinking about the status bar...
Maybe there should be more customisability to the readouts.

Was thinking there could be a drop down list.

Selection Status Attributes
□ Element Ids up to 6 selected elements
□ Coordinates of up to 2 elements
□ Angle between 2 faces or edges
□ Distance between 2 centers
□ Length of up to 2 edges
□ Area of up to 2 faces
□ Volume of up to 2 objects

I welcome your suggestions and additions to this list, and perhaps a suggestion for the defaults.

Was also contemplating a rolling status bar to save space and keep it to one line. This could be furnished with an up and down arrow plus pause button.

Any ideas are welcome Smile

RE: Status bar info - maker - 12-25-2012

Speaking architecturally:

- Area of 2 faces is nice. Even more welcome would be Sketchup-like (total) area of selected faces. (Ideal for finding the floor area.)
- Distance between two centers: also nice; esp. if it can also show the perpendicular distance.
- Can't say much about the rest, or about defaults, since most of your user-base are probably asset-creators (Judging by the gallery.) Maybe, some time in future, we could be allowed to choose the info to display in "Preferences."

Rolling status bar seems a good idea - especially if it will show all lines for a brief moment, and then roll down. Maybe it could mouse-over to expand/fold (instead of clicking arrow.)

btw, absolutely love the way mouse-over of entity displays info - like length, area etc. Smile

RE: Status bar info - Fonte Boa - 12-25-2012

( a )As about Info Line design, i think "customization" it yet the best perspective. So each user could quickly read in Status bar some particular important information. If i could customize"my" Status line i'de love read in it how many isolated vertices, vertices with 5 edges and very short edges (for example, things that are important to me in organic modelling).

( b ) Another point is to have an indication either at Status bar either at Info Line about the command is being executed. This would be very important to newbies imo and a clear didatic reference . Wink

( c ) If more than one element is selected, Status bar has a single line, but if a single one is selected, it goes to two lines: why not to keep the single selected element information in a single line? (i've never had space problems here to conform all in a single line).

( d ) And why not to make Status bar display optional? I've already have to lost some space together it to Tweak menu, that isnt optional too: and there are many moments user definitelly would like to have both opened... Nothing against them: they are precious! Just could be hotkeyable: display or not.

RE: Status bar info - optigon - 12-26-2012

Some good ideas here, I especially like the mouse over Status bar to display all.