Wings 3D Development Forum
An object only visible from one side. - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: An object only visible from one side. (/showthread.php?tid=1298)

Pages: 1 2

An object only visible from one side. - toloache - 08-06-2015

Hello forums, I'm from Argentina and this is my first post.

I'm wondering if it is possible to create an object wich can only be seen from one side of its faces.

I need this object to function only as a background, it must be seen as a solid object from X+, but also completely invisible when being seen from X-
Is there a way to achieve this?

I Hope I made myself clear. Thanks in advance!
PS: Wings3d is an amazing piece of software, very intuitive and amusing.

RE: An object only visible from one side. - oort - 08-06-2015

toloache,
Welcome to the forum.

At this time I think your best option is to use an "Image Plane". When creating the image plane, enable the "Transparent Back Face" option.

The only problem you will have is, that you have to be in Flat Shading mode (View > Workmode, or Tab) to see through the plane.

oort

RE: An object only visible from one side. - toloache - 08-06-2015

Is it posible to export this Image Plane with backface transparency atribute in the OBJ. export file? Because I need to import that OBJ file as an Element3d or Cinema4d element (After Effects Plugins).

In fact, I want to use this backface transparency object twice mirrored.
My objects are going to auto-rotate in front of camera, but they will also have a background and a transparency for each opposite view.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Good evening!

PS: I guess I also need to set that Image Plane as "external".

RE: An object only visible from one side. - oort - 08-06-2015

toloache,
Sorry I cannot say what you will get when you export and then import into Element3d or Cinema4d, since I have not used those programs. Maybe someone else can answer that.

I think you can leave the textures internal, since they will be exported with the model when you export the model.

oort

RE: An object only visible from one side. - toloache - 08-06-2015

Thanks a lot oort! You already made me a huge favor.

I'd wish I could pay you a beer or something Smile

RE: An object only visible from one side. - oort - 08-07-2015

Just spread the word about Wings3D. That is payment enough...Smile

oort

RE: An object only visible from one side. - toloache - 08-13-2015

I succeded. Wings 3d exported my 2 visible materials with invisible backfaces and 2 extra materials wich I was abble to set as hidden.
I'm hoping to sell this proyect soon so I can come back to this forums and share it with this community.

Oort, I realized just now who you are and your place in this community: you sir are a legend!

RE: An object only visible from one side. - oort - 08-13-2015

toloache,
Glad you were able to get it working.

I am not sure I am that person. I don't know what I could have done to be considered legend??? Maybe you are thinking of someone else???

Thanks,
oort

RE: An object only visible from one side. - xxlfire - 09-28-2015

Thanks to all had the same problem Wink

RE: An object only visible from one side. - catherinelirian - 09-29-2015

At this time I think your best option is to use an "Image Plane". When creating the image plane, enable the "Transparent Back Face" option.