Wings 3D Development Forum
A new kind of extrusion... - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: A new kind of extrusion... (/showthread.php?tid=1408)

A new kind of extrusion... - Dimitri - 10-05-2015

An extrusion kind that I felt its need during a recent work in Wings. Just putting it here as an idea to be kept in mind by the programmers. It is like the edge extrusion somehow, but it does a quite other work. And it seems that it would not be a difficult task to implement it in Wings. Its working logic is, exactly, that of Wings’ other tools.

I know, it is something that can be achieved with the already existing tools of Wings but it needs much work and it becomes difficult and very tiring when you have to extrude areas –for giving afterwards the needed shape to them by adding edges, cutting etc- that are in difficultly approachable positions on an object. So, it would be good to have it as a tool in Wings.

[Image: Extrusion%20kind_zpscwsguylr.jpg]

RE: A new kind of extrusion... - micheus - 10-05-2015

(10-05-2015, 10:58 AM)Dimitri Wrote: It is like the edge extrusion somehow, but it does a quite other work.
I'm just curious about what you are talking about, but only this information is telling me nothing about what it supposedly should be/do.Undecided

RE: A new kind of extrusion... - Dimitri - 10-05-2015

It is easy to understand Micheus: you have a square face with an edge in the the middle of it (as is in the image on the left)... you select it, and you 'click' a, say, 'extrude trigonal' command... and, there, you have a shape as the one in the image on the right (as high as you want).

Try to extrude an edge in the same position (with the already existing edge extrude command, in the 'edges' menu) and you will see that it creates, two other edges in the two sides of the extrusion. The thing that I mean is extruding a trigonal shape (as is in the images) without creating more edges but only the two trigonal faces in the two sides of the selected edge's extremes.

I think that the image is quite explanative... think a little bit on it and you will understand it easily...

images?

I am adding two more images too, for being more explanative. In the left image we see what does happen when we extrude an edge (with the already existing edge extrude tool, in the edges menu), while in the right image we see what would happen by the extrude kind I do mean.

Hope that now it is very clear...

[Image: Trigonal%20extrusion_zpsgxc3txia.jpg]

oh, sorry. The images has been blocked by the server here in my work. I'm going to take a look on them when I go home.

I did think that maybe there was a problem with the appearing of images in your side. : - )

Anyway, when you see them you reply. I thing that having such a command would be very time saving in some modelling tasks.

Unless that there is some very easy way to do the work that escapes my attention (something not so unusual)... : - )))

The Crease tool could do that if we could add a constraint option like that one for Slide which you can turn on/off this option: "[3] Continue past other edges"

If it can be done in such a way as you said, why not Micheus... Although it seems to me that it would be better to have it in a single command. You select the middle edge, you click 'extrude trigonal' and, there you have it. Without any more moves!