Wings 3D Development Forum
AutoUV shaders [updated: 05/13/2020] - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: AutoUV shaders [updated: 05/13/2020] (/showthread.php?tid=1433)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - micheus - 11-06-2015

dgud had asked me to try to use 3d position instead of the auv coordinate to calc the shader, so I tried it in Voronoi and I got impressed with effect we can get using the 3D shaders - a seamless texture. Smile
We need to use this kind of shader with a model unwrapped using "segment by projection" -> "Continue projection Normal". Just a sample:

Still not updated because I have more to work. Smile

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - Nova - 11-07-2015

That is awesome! Combine that with a baked AO pass and models would look awesome in no time!

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - Nova - 11-07-2015

Trying to get these to work, I downloaded each pair and placed them into the plugin/autouv folder, and they show up in wings, but nothing happens when I hit create texture. Trying with the standard ones, like wood doesn't work either. Anyone know what's going on?

EDIT: Just saw that you were using 1.5.4, so I went back and tried the same plugins in 1.5.3 (Was using 2.0.1) and they worked. So it seems these filters (And even the standard ones), don't work in 2.0.1. Will make a bug report.

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - micheus - 11-08-2015

(11-07-2015, 09:15 PM)Nova Wrote: EDIT: Just saw that you were using 1.5.4, so I went back and tried the same plugins in 1.5.3 (Was using 2.0.1) and they worked. So it seems these filters (And even the standard ones), don't work in 2.0.1. Will make a bug report.
Yeah, the images you saw in the first post were updated with a standard lay out I did using the 1.5.4 just to test them in that version. But, in truth I create them using the 2.0.1 as you can see in this initial image

You also would be noticed that in the samples made by tkbd in post#2

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - Kagehi - 11-10-2015

Hmm. Not sure how, or even if, its feasible to do this with mesh (it kind of isn't in some ways, due to it not being "real" mathematical objects), but.. there are some neat tricks that can be done by using normals - such as leaving the bottom of an object "dry", while the top ends up "wet". Also.. with the one old plugin that was re-dug up, we can now make normal maps, and we also have support for displacement, and probably specular (right, it says gloss)?? But, even if we had shaders for these, the autouv "assumes" that any texture made is "diffuse", so there is no clean way to bake the others, and have them applied immediately. Though, this probably only applies, in fact, to specular maps,since the others need to be applied to "lower rez" version of the objects, so.. maybe not that big an issue for them.

Mind telling Wings3D that you, say, wanted the object to have X texture, but also hit it Y face, as the center, with a paint ball, and it need to spread only Y diameter, and then only to surfaces that are less than 10 degrees from that faces angle, then produce a "smooth" and believable splat on it... has got to be a whole lot easier to do if your target was actually the shape it seems to be, not a lot of triangles that only approximate it. lol Still.. might be an interesting idea for someone to play with.

Honestly.. kind of wish there was a universal shader that mimicked everything I know I can do with POV-Ray. :p Most of that stuff, even if feasible to do, would require writing whole new shaders, one for each "function", and then.. well, supporting variable color sets, with "percentage of this color used in the map", like some stone textures use... Yikes.. Still. Guess I need to look into how these things go tick, and whether or not I can come up with something useful myself. Wink But.. got no idea how one would go about the direction (normal based) effects and make them work properly...

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - micheus - 11-19-2015

New 3D ones coming soon:
[Image: 3-D-Textures.png]

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - tkbd - 11-19-2015

It increases the means of expressing the texture.
Thank you very much. Biggrin

I made texture setting catalog, such as the following.
Helpful settings catalog of Create Texture Draw Options.

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - Kagehi - 11-21-2015

Hmm. Ok. I nosed around with this, and... Would love to be able to import shaders of my own. Or, heck, if I could figure out how to do so, even write one. As an attempt to do this, I tried going here:

http://glslsandbox.com/e#28984.0

I then made a few "adjustments", removing the time based factor, and making a few different attempts to replace the "resolution" variable (first with just a number, then with vec2(10000,10000). I used one of your .auv files as a template to create an entry called "Test" with, for this experiment, no variables. Come to think of it though, I could have probably set a replacement for "time", or even the missing "resolution" parts in there, but.. In any case, the code was short, all the variables I left intact, or replaced with a value, seem to be things that should work.. but what I got was a completely transparent texture, with no image at all.

So.. Just for laughs, since some of us might be nuts enough to try to do this - what exactly did I screw up? What would I need to change to a) have this example shader work in Wings, and b) why? Because.. well, this seems to be another one of those, "If you knew what you where doing, you might know what you are doing wrong.", problems. lol

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - micheus - 11-21-2015

You get that shader by using the current voronoi smooth with invert option checked.

Anyway, you can ignore the "time" since their use it for animation or as as seed.

RE: AutoUV shaders [updated: 10/29/2015] - Kagehi - 11-21-2015

Yeah. I figured. But.. Just can't figure out why the heck my "edit" of the example didn't produce an actual texture. It didn't look like there where a lot of gotchas in it.. If I can work out what I did wrong.. There are a number of interesting bits of stuff in POVRay I wouldn't mind trying to work out how to do. Now that I know I can bake things on this easy.. :p

I only picked the one that I gave above as an test run because it was simple, short, and, presumably, straight forward. And I couldn't even manage to get it to work.