Wings 3D Development Forum
Put on command for multiple copies - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Put on command for multiple copies (/showthread.php?tid=1492)

Put on command for multiple copies - kenmo - 12-18-2015

I know how to put one object onto another. Like putting a box onto a cylinder. But how do I put multiple copies of a box along the 8 sides of a cylinder?

I've watched this Wings 3D tutorial about the put on command by Micheus Viera but the more I watch it, the more confused I get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLqlHS_vAAA

I really hate video tutorials with NO audio... as I find reading the text and watching the video too confusing...

I tried it on Wings3D ver 2.0.1 first and then ver 1.4.1 - but no luck...

Cheers

Ken

RE: Put on command for multiple copies - micheus - 12-18-2015

(12-18-2015, 07:02 PM)kenmo Wrote: I've watched this Wings 3D tutorial about the put on command by Micheus Viera but the more I watch it, the more confused I get.
yeah, that is me.

Well, I also don't like the idea, but as English isn't my language I did prefer it than nothing. Unfortunately there aren't many video tutorials for Wings3D, so that is the best I can do to try make Wings3D less complicated for someone.

You have the option to pause the video to read the comments. I use to do that once and watch the video a second time to see the things working. The video are short.

The YouTube player also offers SPEED option that is perfect for video with notes or subtitles. Wink

kenmo, about your doubt, last week there was a question about this and I supposedly was able to explain it there - you can take a look at the comments and check if it become clear. It's really not complicated and fell free to make question in the video page - I use to answer and also that help me to try make them better - but, without audio. Smile

-----------
I just updated the video annotations and I hope they can be better now. The video was one of a series I did in 2010 - I was just learning how to use YouTube stuff as well as my English was worst than nowadays. Smile

RE: Put on command for multiple copies - kenmo - 12-21-2015

Thanks kindly....I'll take a peek at it...

RE: Put on command for multiple copies - kenmo - 12-21-2015

Sorry. I select the object to replicate with a RMB then select .put on. then with the LMB I select multiple faces on the target. Then if I select RMB I get a box pop up with "cancel" on it even though down below it shows R Execute.

What am I doing wrong?

RE: Put on command for multiple copies - micheus - 12-21-2015

(12-21-2015, 07:34 PM)kenmo Wrote: I select the object to replicate with a RMB then select .put on. then with the LMB I select multiple faces on the target. Then if I select RMB I get a box pop up with "cancel" on it even though down below it shows R Execute.

What am I doing wrong?
You are doing the same thing the other guy was doing - using the button inverted.

I'm pasting here what I answer to him there: Smile
Quote:You should notice in the Information line that when you highlight the Put On command there are two option:
- "L: Move and rotate object ..."
- "R: Clone object on ..."

That "L" means if you use the LMB (Left Mouse Button) to select the Put On command you will be able to place the source object on the only one face selected as target; If you select more them one face as destination you will get that "Cancel" option.

So, I guess you selected the menu option by using the default button - LMB (the usual for any application's menu), but in Wings3D you have the option to use the other buttons to select different actions for the same command and that can be MMB and RMB
- always check the Information line to know about the options. RMB is also used to execute the command (accept the parameters) or cancel it
- again, pay attention to the Information line.

That said, in the step 2 you pointed, you must to use the RMB to select the Put On command and then in the next step you can select as many faces as you want and again use the RMB to accept the command.

RE: Put on command for multiple copies - kenmo - 12-22-2015

Ok. I tried it and it work once, Tried it again and no luck. Then I tried it once more and it did. Boy this put on command is not the least intuitive.

The problem I have is during the spring, summer and fall I do more more photography & Photoshop/Lightroom work. Then in the winter I like to do my 3D stuff - Vue Complete 2015, hexagon 2.5 3D Coat 4.5, Wings 3D, UV Mapper Classic, Groboto v3, Curvy3D and Daz Studio. I usually have no problem picking up most 3D tools but Wings3D and 3D Coat always give me fits trying to remember how I did something a a while ago. I guess I'm a bit of a fair weather photographer.

This put on multiple times sure is a very odd combination of mouse buttons. Too bad it wasn't a separate menu option from the regular put on command. I think it would alleviate a lot of the confusion and certainly simplify the process.

Some of my free 3D models and Artage stencils on ShareCG

Cheers

Ken

http://www.sharecg.com/kenmo

RE: Put on command for multiple copies - micheus - 12-22-2015

(12-22-2015, 03:02 AM)kenmo Wrote: I tried it and it work once, Tried it again and no luck. Then I tried it once more and it did. Boy this put on command is not the least intuitive.
Sorry, but there is no way it work only every other time.
It's a very clear command:
- if you select the Put On menu option using the Left Mouse Buttom [LMB] you are choosing to make a single selection as target;
- if you select the Put On menu option using the Right Mouse Button [RMB] you are choosing to make multiple selections as target;

Quote:This put on multiple times sure is a very odd combination of mouse buttons. Too bad it wasn't a separate menu option from the regular put on command.
In Wings3D, the context menus offer us from one to three options (if available) for every command. That means we have the command in only one place - don't need to look for a variation in another menu (long browsing) - it's time saving!
When the mouse pointer lie over the menu option the Information line will "tell" you which variation you have for every mouse button option. Recently, you can also see the hint window close to the menu you are selecting.
You play with a lot of software, so you know they have their own characteristics - and you had to learn each one. Have the ability to allow us to use the three buttons to select a menu option is something unique - just pay attention to the Information line.

I know sometimes the Information line is not so clear as it would or should be, but that isn't the case:
L: Move and rotate object, aligning the selected face to another element;
R: Clone object on to one or more elements;

Cheers
Micheus

Thanks kindly Micheus. I really appreciate your time and help... Cheers

Yeah, I do use a lot of software. I also picked up Silo3D when it was on sale. I also use ArtRage 4.5 (love it, the best digital painting app) and Corel Painter...

currently at work but during break I tried the multi .put on. as you suggested and it works. I think I know where I went wrong. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simply....BUT... I'll probably forget it next time this year when I start doing my 3D stuff once again...

Again, many thanks....

RE: Put on command for multiple copies - digitaldavinci - 12-22-2019

Should have put the L(single)/R(multiples) in the put on menus