Wings 3D Development Forum
Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2014/Jun/30) - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2014/Jun/30) (/showthread.php?tid=16)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2014/Jun/30) - micheus - 11-10-2012

It makes possible to build objects from images (gray-scale and rainbow color schemes):
[Image: heightmap-gray.png] Heightmap
Generated terrain

Generated texture
[Image: blocks.jpg]
The key color information for Color ramp is stored in the same place of Preferences.txt. (there is one attached here)

Download on my Google Disk
* erts.5.8 is compatible with Wings 1.3.1 -> 1.4.1
* erts.5.9 is compatible with Wings pré-release 1.5.pre1.74.* (snapshot 1)
* erts.5.10 is compatible with Wings pré-release >= 1.5.pre1.78.* (snapshot 2 - 32/64bits)
* erts.6.0 is compatible with Wings >= 1.5.3 -> 1.5.4

On gitHub:
w/o Preview feature: link
with Preview feature: link

[edit]
15/Jan: Added dialog preview support;
12/Fev: Added Density control and Color ramp editor;
15/Mar: Final release.
* this last version requires the wings_ask.beam be overwritten.
21/Jul: Included the required wings_ask.beam file in the zip file. (thanks ShotgunSpiff)
30/Ago: Added option for block mode construction. (thanks Britfox that remind me about that)

With all you have learned ... - ggaliens - 11-11-2012

With all you have learned ...

I still think you should try making this a Drawing Plugin with a very light #we{ } object that points to a disk based IMAGE or maybe a 1024x1014 in memory JPG ... and draws the polygons at Draw time ... without making the #We object. You could also determine the colors at draw time and write an exporter. Lots of cool things to do to make a bit less of a "toy".

You might also figure out how folks do fractal-ish landscapes at run-time.

RE: With all you have learned ... - micheus - 11-11-2012

(11-11-2012, 12:14 AM)ggaliens Wrote: I still think you should try making this a Drawing Plugin with a very light #we{ } object that points to a disk based IMAGE or maybe a 1024x1014 in memory JPG ... and draws the polygons at Draw time ... without making the #We object.
That's what I was trying to get here:
[Image: heightmap-preview.png]

It was not exactly what you are talking about (I know), but it was an simple #we{} box that would enable us to manipulate the objects (move/scale/rotate) while using a gbset to store the points/edge information.

The problem was that we couldn't update the #st{} from the code that handles the dialog. This will not be a problem anymore when the new version of Wings3d be released with the Preview mode implemented by Optigon.

I just pushed the source code to github (mv/heightmap_surface), so you will be able to play with it. (don't forget to give me some credits Wink)

I look forward to trying the latest. - ggaliens - 11-12-2012

I look forward to trying the latest.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] - ggaliens - 11-12-2012

Micheus ... for yourself an for others ...

Set tabs to 4. Set tabs as immediately replaced with 4 spaces.

Always double check for tabs and get rid of them. Tabs are evil.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] - micheus - 11-12-2012

I use jEdit with "Tabs width" and "Indent width" with value = 4, but I din't set "Soft tabs" (emulated with spaces).
I have used this way and I'm not getting mess when loading any source code. Anyway, I'm going to change it.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] - ggaliens - 11-12-2012

Your files are pretty formatted anyway.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] - ggaliens - 11-19-2012

Micheus ... I can't download the zip file from your Google Drive. It just shows me naked BEAM files ... like it unzips it for me.

I found it after some trying. The link for the zip file.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] - micheus - 11-20-2012

It's a little difficult to find how to download it, but it would be something like this...

After click in the link I had passed we'll see this page:
[Image: google-doc1.png]

and after click in the fold image in the middle of the page the next page will shown and we'll see all the zip file content. In the top of the page we have a "File" menu ("Arquivo" in portuguese) where we can find the Download option:
[Image: google-doc2.png]

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] - Geta-Ve - 11-20-2012

@GG

After you click on the zip file to look at its contents, navigate to the File menu (not of the browser) and use the Download option there.