Wings 3D Development Forum
Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2014/Jun/30) - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2014/Jun/30) (/showthread.php?tid=16)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: I think after preview ... - ggaliens - 01-15-2013

How many other files will this depend on w.r.t. having very latest ?
If it is just a couple ... I would try them.

Maybe you did something with ALPHA ?

OK ... I got wings_image and wings_ask
I hope this doesn't break my MLAB. LOL. I bet it won't.
Looks good. Got it working and is fun of course.

[*** Edited: removed crash-dumps since you said I used wrong code-base ]

OK ... and and idea how to make very nice. Why not add a function for scaling the image right there in your dialog ? Like to scale down to make 128x128 or whatever the user wants. I know I can use GIMP, but I want to do it J.I.T. ... right there in the plugin. It would be a very nice to have. Then my IMAGE can remain intact as well.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/15) - micheus - 01-16-2013

You have that problems because you weren't using the latest master branch from dgud (using git rebase). I hope you are now.

Quote:Why not add a function for scaling the image right there in your dialog ? Like to scale down to make 128x128 or whatever the user wants.
I already thought about that - I think it as a "resolution" option. Maybe now (with preview) I can implement it as you are suggesting.
I also intend to add an option for put color on it(as we can see here) - just not sure how I'll implement it.

The preview resource has opened a lot of possibilities.

p.s. please edit your last post and remove that unnecessary last (big, doubled) quote you left there. Lets leave this thread readable. Wink

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/15) - ggaliens - 01-16-2013

Are you releasing wpc_heightmap plugin as part of main distro in upcoming release ?
because that's the inference I make from you assuming I'd use GITHUB to get the plugin.

Please understand ... I just figured this plugin WORK might be fairly atomic in nature and maybe not to bleeding edge w.r.t. the API. I really didn't want to do the whole GITHUB. I'd rather wait.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/15) - micheus - 01-16-2013

(01-16-2013, 05:38 PM)ggaliens Wrote: Are you releasing wpc_heightmap plugin as part of main distro in upcoming release ?
No.
I just use this way for share the code with any other wings source file needed.

The issues you had pointed before you got it because I'm alway using the latest master code:
- Dan has added/exported new options to wings_image that make possible load an image without show it into Outline window;
- Optigon has changed the why we invoke the preview for last snapshot;

I think you know that you can, of course, download only the plugin source code from that link I post. Just click in "View file @ xxxx" button - in the right side of the file name ( plugins_src/primitives/wpc_heightmap_surface.erl) - and click in "Raw" button in the next page. Now it can be saved in your machine. Anyway you can get only it here.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/15) - ggaliens - 01-17-2013

http://www.nhn.ou.edu/~jeffery/astro/mars/moons/nasa_mars_phobos_001_map.jpg

Easiest way to "feather away" the outside heights ? - ggaliens - 01-25-2013

Easiest way to "feather away" the outside heights ?

I need a way to ease away the height to ZERO near outside edges of your heightmaps.

I know I could do it in a bitmap editor ... but I think for now ... I want to do it
as a post-process step on the result from your plugin.

I would think a SCALE Y from orign with magnet should do it.
I had a ery short go at this the other day ... need to try it again.

RE: Easiest way to "feather away" the outside heights ? - micheus - 01-25-2013

(01-25-2013, 05:16 PM)ggaliens Wrote: Easiest way to "feather away" the outside heights ?
The easy way you already has mentioned: is to use an image editor and mask it with a radial (or a square) gradient image. Smile

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/15) - micheus - 01-28-2013

Just sharing...
There will be a new version coming. I've made some small improvement in the code (and a big test that has failed) and added new features:
- option to reduce the mesh density (as suggested by ggaliens);
- the preview object now uses the default material and the current view shader.

here a mesh with density=100%
[Image: density100.png]
the same one with density=50%
[Image: density50.th.png]
the same one with density=20%
[Image: density20.th.png]

I need to finish implementing a new custom control for use in the dialog. If I got success, we problably will be able to set vertex colors too.

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/15) - micheus - 02-09-2013

The new custom control is already done. I used it to build the Color Ramp control below:
[Image: hm-color-ramp.jpg]
I intend to use it to set the color of vertices or create the coloured texture

RE: Heightmap Surface [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/15) - micheus - 02-12-2013

Here is the new version for appreciation: Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYDPvAlwwN0

Better visualization and more control over the final object.
The download is available at the begin of this thread.

It's necessary to put the wings_ask.beam in the ebin folder. (e.g. ...\wings3d_1.5.pre1.38.g62be8\lib\wings-1.5.pre1.38.g62be8\ebin)