Wings 3D Development Forum
There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function (/showthread.php?tid=161)

Pages: 1 2 3

There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - boredom - 01-30-2013

"Snap Image" is a fantastic part of Wings3D which I overlooked for a long time. Now that I've found out about it, it's become essential in my UV mapping/texturing workflow. Seriously, it's that awesome.

My gripe is that the lack of a "rotate snap image" option forces the user to rotate the camera to match the image, which is fine sometimes... But on anything angled, it's extremely hard to get the camera to rotate properly (even with features like "align view to face").

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - Fonte Boa - 01-30-2013

A possible workaround is to rotate the object itself to achieve the wanted angle and then Snap the image. Wink

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - boredom - 01-30-2013

(01-30-2013, 12:58 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: A possible workaround is to rotate the object itself to achieve the wanted angle and then Snap the image. Wink

Yeah, that works, but then I have to rotate it back. It's very counterintuitive if it's a funky angle. It would involve memorizing how much I rotated it in order to snap the image, and then rotate it back that amount.

Definitely counts as a gripe. Smile

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - Fonte Boa - 01-30-2013

Really "Rotate Snap Image" would be welcomed to complete Snap Image tools.

(01-30-2013, 01:57 PM)boredom Wrote: It would involve memorizing how much I rotated it in order to snap the image, and then rotate it back that amount.

Probably you already know, but, during rotate operation (and all the other ones), when you reach the desired amount, before Left click to execute, you can hit TAB key: this will open the Numeric Input window and you can verify there the exact rotation angle (unfortunatelly you will have to note that in a paper, because it isnt possible to copy it to paste after...).

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - micheus - 01-30-2013

There is also the possibility to save the camera settings before change it. Or Did I misunderstand something?

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - oort - 01-30-2013

Yes it would be nice to have "rotate snap image" added. View > "Align to selection" works as long as you don't need the pattern (i.e. bricks) to run vertical or at 45 degrees instead of horizontal.

Snap image is great and much easier than using AutoUV but for complicated models AutoUV is probably preferred, at least I assume it would be.... Smile

oort

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - boredom - 01-30-2013

(01-30-2013, 02:32 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: Really "Rotate Snap Image" would be welcomed to complete Snap Image tools.

(01-30-2013, 01:57 PM)boredom Wrote: It would involve memorizing how much I rotated it in order to snap the image, and then rotate it back that amount.

Probably you already know, but, during rotate operation (and all the other ones), when you reach the desired amount, before Left click to execute, you can hit TAB key: this will open the Numeric Input window and you can verify there the exact rotation angle (unfortunatelly you will have to note that in a paper, because it isnt possible to copy it to paste after...).

Yea, that's what I do currently. I use my mind as a buffer, but I often forget the angle if it has funky decimals. Ultimately, Wings3D still gets the job done, but I wish this little wrinkle was smoothed out. Smile

(01-30-2013, 02:42 PM)micheus Wrote: There is also the possibility to save the camera settings before change it. Or Did I misunderstand something?

The camera commands are quite helpful, but sometimes it requires a camera rotation that can't be done. It usually happens when I want to map a vertical UV island to a face that's angled more horizontally.

(01-30-2013, 04:19 PM)oort Wrote: Yes it would be nice to have "rotate snap image" added. View > "Align to selection" works as long as you don't need the pattern (i.e. bricks) to run vertical or at 45 degrees instead of horizontal.

Snap image is great and much easier than using AutoUV but for complicated models AutoUV is probably preferred, at least I assume it would be.... Smile

oort

Even after "align to selection," in 2D terms it still might not be aligned to the corresponding UV Island in the image. (i.e. the faces are horizontal on the screen, but they need to be vertical to match the texture).

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - Justanother1 - 03-14-2014

uuuuuhhhh...... Yes, Snap image can take a screenshot, and there's a AutoUV option for Projection-Camera, but I don't see how the one can help the other? You can make a Template from the UV-window buy printing the edges, and you can have the background be Alpha-0 and save a .PNG for an overlay. However, Projection UV-maps are not un-folded right, the spacing is sloppy. And if I'm understanding correctly, your using a Image Editor for Texturing? You can get Sculptris or Blender and paint on your model, using small grayscale "Alpha Maps" to add Bump-map chunky surfaces, it's quite fun, and works way better than trying to guess in an Image editor.

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - micheus - 03-18-2014

Guys, I implemented the rotation function for Snap Image. Please take a look at it and give me some feedback in order I can make a pull request to the main devs. (link for the plugin replacement - just use the option File->Install Plugin)

RE: There's no "Rotate Snap Image" function - oort - 03-19-2014

Micheus,
Thanks for adding Rotate. Should it be listed as "Rotate Snap Image" instead of "Rotate Snap Mode"???

If I hit Tab to enter a numeric value > Enter a Value > Reset > Cancel, I am then only able to rotate in one direction.

I checked Move Snap Image and see that the same thing happens with Move Snap Image. As a matter of fact somehow I got away from the Geometry window and was unable to Exit Snap Mode.

P.S. I am unable to watch the video... Sad

Edit: The problems seem to happen only if I move the mouse too much away from the Geometry window. Clicking in the Geometry Window gets control back. I need to be more careful when moving the mouse...Blush

Edit2: I see that "Reset" brings back the previous state. Would it be good to also be able to bring back the image's original state?

Thanks,
oort