Wings 3D Development Forum
How to edit & set ID number of a mesh face - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: How to edit & set ID number of a mesh face (/showthread.php?tid=1681)

How to edit & set ID number of a mesh face - dopkidd - 04-12-2016

Hi,

I'd like to know if it's possible in any way to edit and set the ID number of a mesh face.

What I call "ID number of a face" are the numbers displayed at top left corner, when one or more faces are selected, as shown in the pic attached.

Is there any way to modify this ID number ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

RE: How to edit & set ID number of a mesh face - micheus - 04-12-2016

Wlcome to our community dopkidd.

About your question, there is no way to do that.

RE: How to edit & set ID number of a mesh face - dopkidd - 04-12-2016

Thank you for your welcome and your reply Micheus.

It's a pity because it seems this ID number hierarchy, is the priority criterion, used in many 3d universes, to display the way semi-transparent alpha textures overlap on each other. So it would be a big need to be able to determine its own hierarchy.

Anyway, thank you again Smile

I think you could use create/set a different material for each group of faces you wanted to assign the same ID and then - during export process - you can specify, wich groups Wings3d exports to the Wavefront, or 3DS file.

Maybe this help.

I must confess I'm not sure I understand the logic of what you are suggesting.

Assigning a material to one or more faces, regroups these faces by group in the saved file, but doesn't change their own ID, so it mustn't change the alpha rendering hierarchy.

On the other hand, I noticed that the faces ID are modified when several objects are combined together and then separated, and this ID modification is different depending the order these objects are first combined.

What I thought about, since in my case for now, each face belongs first to a single object and then is combined to make a link-set (foliage made of several intersecting planes), is first to create one plane uv-mapped and textured, then to make x duplications of this plane, whose each duplication will be naturally assigned an incremental ID number, and then I could pick the faces/IDs I need to create the hierarchy I need, but... this is pretty complex and long to organize for a complex link-set.

Last thing I noticed is, in an .obj file, faces are stored at bottom of the file like this :
f 2/5/2 6/9/6 8/10/8 4/2/4
f 4/13/4 8/19/8 7/20/7 3/14/3
f 5/16/5 7/17/7 8/12/8 6/15/6
etc.
Unlike what one might think, the first number of each line does not match the ID of the faces, but the ID hierarchy seems to follow the lines sequence, and actually changes the rendering priority in-world when this sequence of lines is simply switched or stored in a different order. But here also, depending the complexity of the link-set, using this trick can be a brain teaser.

But I'll continue to investigate and test Smile

Yeah, maybe that doesn't help you.
It was based in a comment I found related to that in this old post and the two follows.

I'm going to take a look at it, thank you again Micheus.