Wings 3D Development Forum
The future of new modeling tools - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The future of new modeling tools (/showthread.php?tid=172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: The future of new modeling tools - dgud - 04-30-2013

(04-29-2013, 03:18 PM)Wegg Wrote: Wings has this? OpenCL accelerated quick-smoothed preview?

Someone have not been paying attention in class.

I have not done much in wings the latest years, but I've added
Levels of smooth preview (via OpenCL)
Show normal/bump
64B build

Also thrown away an almost finished OpenCL render,
that may reappear later.

See/download snapshot

RE: The future of new modeling tools - Wegg - 04-30-2013

I see the feature but it is greyed out for me. I have an OpenCL complaint video card with openCL drivers. . . but it's just not showing up. :-(

RE: The future of new modeling tools - oort - 04-30-2013

Wegg,
Maybe it is dependent on the version of OpenCL that your card supports??? Mine doesn't support it at all but I have access to that feature (smooth preview levels, and OpenCL Render, although it didn't work correctly), by using OpenCL CPU drivers. I do not have access to bump maps being shown in the geometry window. See the following thread...OpenCL CPU Help

oort

RE: The future of new modeling tools - micheus - 04-30-2013

I'm not sure about the version beharvior...
Anyway, you can check the OpenCL information by typing in the Command Prompt (on Windows): $> clinfo

My result for an on-board AMD Radeon HD6470 (my notebook):
Code:
Number of platforms:                             1
  Platform Profile:                              FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Version:                              OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1)
  Platform Name:                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

[edit]
Sorry, clinfo.exe is available only if you have installed AMD Stream SDK.
So, if you want check for all your graphic card information you can try the GPU Caps Viewer.
That I installed a long date on my desktop with NVidia and that returns me: OpenCL 1.1.

and I don't have any problem by using the OpenCL stuff of Wings3d.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - neostyles - 06-25-2013

This is the problem with wings. It refuses to innovate. As illustrated by the responses here, it insists on remaining in the dark ages. As a long time user of wings, it is sad to see "Wings is is a closed surface modeller" as an excuse for any growth of the program. Ive been using wings since 2006 and the workflow has barely changed since then. Oh sure, it's gotten a few new tools and lots of bug fixes but nothing that you would notice unless you knew to look for it. Compare this with other apps like Blender of Modo that have grown by leaps and bounds. Sure, it only has a few people working on it, but that it has had years to change and hasnt really gone anywhere says all too much.

Wings could be so much more. It has a really solid foundation. This is what still brings me back to it every now and then.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - nemyax - 06-26-2013

(06-25-2013, 09:06 PM)neostyles Wrote: Wings could be so much more. It has a really solid foundation.
Having to work on top of the Erlang runtime is probably the reason Wings can't do much more than it already does.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - oort - 06-26-2013

neostyles,
Are there specific modeling tools that have been added to Blender and Modo that would work in a low poly modeler that requires a closed mesh? Maybe some coder will take an interest in adding it to Wings3d???

I ask because I don't use Blender or Modo.

I don't know how many coders are working on Blender but for Wings3D there is only dgud, Micheus, and ggaliens who do code on modeling tools.... Sad

oort

RE: The future of new modeling tools - neostyles - 06-26-2013

Well here are some things that I think would benefit the workflow in wings

-Interactive options for tools. Many times, I will do something like create a cylinder with x sides and then realize that I wanted something different. I can to hit ctrl z a few times and then bring up the tool again. It would be so much easier if there was a panel where we could just adjust it and it would update in real time. This would represent such an evolutionary leap for wings.

Some sort of system where different panels could be docked would be awesome. Being able to customize your work space and make it feel like "yours" would be great.

-Manipulators and widgets. Again, I find myself accidentally moving or roating something on the wrong axis and having to go back and repeat the command. This would help to clear up the menu as well as you would be able to remove several of the options. Currently, right clicking brings up a giant list of options which to this day still proves a little overwhelming.

-More intuitive sculpting. Should be done similar to other modelling apps such as modo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftey4p2WScM

With the aforementioned real time adjustment of tools, you get a world of new possibilities. Brush size, hardness, symmetry across different axes, etc.

-Modo also has some really cool tools for aligning vertices
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6QL05Vf4YI

New ways of selecting things such as "select every other face" would save a lot of time as well.

Model instancing would be nice too Smile What about an option to draw out tubes when its chosen from the menu?

-The UI could be be cleaned up quite a bit to make it simpler. For instance. The geometry graph and outliner could be combined which would also save quite a bit of screen real estate. The plug in manager could be combined with plugin preferences as well. There could just be an options button beside each plugin (those that had options that is.) An option to delete plugins would be nice as well. Camera settings could be moved over to the camera tab in preferences. All the "n gons" could be combined into one option. Same for the different planes. Maybe with all these organised more efficiently, all the options could fit under under menu without the need for an additional "more" sub menu.

-Last but not least an update to the UIs look would really help. Wings is pretty lacking here. It seems as if the look hasnt really changed since it first came out many years ago. Wings really looks a little date right now. Things like more rounded corners and perhaps a new color picker with something like a color wheel would help to make wings feel a little more modern. Modo 501s color picked is very neat. It introduces something called color rules that allow you to select anologous, complimentary, etc colors. Would love to have swatches that allow you to easily change an objects color (eg click object then click swatch and it changes to the new color.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjPlHfPG8NQ

Just a few. Would really help to give wings a more natural, intuitive workflow.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - oort - 06-26-2013

neostyles,
Thanks for the feedback. We used to have a feature request section in the old forum but it got messy with people not checking to see if things had already been requested, etc.

Have you tried the latest snapshot release found in the following...Latest Snapshot 0.1.5

The latest snapshot gives you the ability to preview a primitive before it is created.

Most Wings3D users don't miss or want manipulators. Don't count on that ever being added unless some new coder comes along and adds it as a plug-in that can be turned on and off. When I have used them in other software I end up doing things I didn't want to do and had to undo all the time.... Sad

Some primitives have been combined in Snapshot 0.1.5.

Have you played with Tools > Sculpt and Tweak? Not as powerful as Modo but it does work pretty good. They do not add geometry since that would not work since Wings3D is low poly.

With so few developers eye candy in the interface is a very very low priority.

More advanced color swatches would be neat.

oort

RE: The future of new modeling tools - micheus - 06-27-2013

(06-26-2013, 10:45 PM)oort Wrote: With so few developers eye candy in the interface is a very very low priority.
Dont't forget about the optigon's thread: Multiple View Ports
I believe that someday he will come with something new for us. Smile