Wings 3D Development Forum
The future of new modeling tools - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The future of new modeling tools (/showthread.php?tid=172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: The future of new modeling tools - micheus - 06-27-2013

There are many ways to get a result and that is also true for different 3D software. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages - that's why many people use more than one. It will depend on what is better for this or that job. We heard lot of people saying here that uses Wings3D to model the base object because it is easy to use and it allows them have a fast workflow for that. Others don't think the same. That will always exist.

I played around with some of those stuffs you had post before...
Vertice alignment can be made easily on Wings3D too:
using Flatten
[IMG size 200x200]http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w578/Micheus/Wings3D%20-%20Forum/intesect_zpsfd0fd922.gif[/IMG]using Intersect

About the Sculpt in Modo, I don't think that Tweak and Sculpt (by Optigon) can do less them we saw in the video. With the advantage the commands can be hotkeyed - who start liking to use hotkeys don't want use menus and lot of mouse operations (that I already heard by here) Smile
Due to Wings3D characteristics - different of any other sculpt tool - wings doesn't add faces to the geometry. This probably will never change.

I'm not a good modeller or even Wings3D user, but just in case you didn't take a look at these tools I did a small video:

Have you seen this wegg's thread: Is autodesk copying Wings?

But yes, there are things that can/should be improved and certainly will be - slowly. However - as oort has already said, there are a few coders working on Wings3D. I would say only two: dgud and björng. I'm only helping with bug fixes and a few small plugins and ggaliens is focused in his plugin package (ManifoldLab). All of us with our own time restrictions.

Just take in account that I do not represent the Wings3D team, so I'm talk by myself. Smile

RE: The future of new modeling tools - neostyles - 06-27-2013

Hmm interesting, michaus. Didnt know you could do that in wings. Im trying out wings snapshot 1.5 and its pretty neat one thing though. loving the new previews! Some things though..

(1) When you have a panel open, such as the create primitive options, it would be nice if you could still access the menus at the top (edit, view, select, etc.)

(2) I dont know how many of you have used silo (what originally got me thinking about adjusting tools in real time, but even after you created a primitive and applied certain transformations to it (scaling for instance), you could still go back and adjust its properties from the same panel where you initially created it.

(3) New modes of input. In silo, you can either enter a value numerically or you can click and drag inside the box with your middle mouse button.

Just food for thought Smile

RE: The future of new modeling tools - neostyles - 06-28-2013

Would also be neat if the text tool automatically scanned your computer with fonts and presented you with a a dropdown (like photosohop) as opposed to having to manually navigate to the font you want. Smile

A tool to divide selected faces along a certain direction would be great. For example, im trying to model a waffle (see attatchment.) Right now, im trying to divide each quarter of the waffle into several parts to make the indentations in the waffle. I tried connecting both ends and doing slide, but the slide tool doesnt give me straight lines.

With what im proposing, you could simply select each quarter of the waffle and adjust the sections along a given axis with a slider.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - micheus - 06-28-2013

(06-28-2013, 06:10 PM)neostyles Wrote: A tool to divide selected faces along a certain direction would be great. For example, im trying to model a waffle (see attatchment.)
As you are not take care create n-gons, you can try to use Tools->Connect (check this video)
In case you need to cut an object session you can use Plane Cut command.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - hershel - 07-04-2013

Quote:Right now, im trying to divide each quarter of the waffle into several parts to make the indentations in the waffle. I tried connecting both ends and doing slide, but the slide tool doesnt give me straight lines.

About Slide: most of the time you can actually keep one or more slided edges from "losing their shape" (let's say), by using the 'absolute' toggle; just press '1' once you initiate a slide... remembering that it's an on/off toggle or in this case a "relative/absolute" slide toggle. As usual, check the info line at the bottom to know the current state of an already initiated command, or its diverse mouse click option when mouseovering it in the context menu.

Anyway, as micheus suggested, I'd do such a cookie cutting with the 'plane cut' command. Again, be sure to check it's many options (starting with using it either in face or body mode, as there are some slight differences already)

RE: The future of new modeling tools - neostyles - 08-16-2013

I think the lack of intuition in some of the tools is an imediment for new users, even long time users such as myself. For example, when you activate a tool (such as bend), its not immediately clear what you are supposed to do. Namely, I am referring to the bend tool. Its pretty ambiguous. Things such as choosing the center for the bend would be much easier if they were done in an interactive way that didnt require trial and error... The third step is particularly confusing (although it shouldn't be.) It requires you to choose the direction of the bend, but for the user who isn't familiar with normals, it makes things way more tedious than they should be.

The simple bend plugin is much more accessible for new users but it doesn't allow you to only bend certain parts of an object.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - adh3d - 08-18-2013

I think the way wing3d let you modelling, although is an old polygon way, this is not mean it is a wrong way to go, I think wings3d is the best for polygon modelling because is simple, fast and easy to learn.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - neostyles - 09-18-2013

So is there any sort of roadmap for wings?

RE: The future of new modeling tools - micheus - 09-18-2013

(09-18-2013, 06:09 PM)neostyles Wrote: So is there any sort of roadmap for wings?
I don't think such thing exists.
What I remember to read at the old forum is about Wings wants / Feature Requests.

RE: The future of new modeling tools - neostyles - 09-19-2013

It would be nice to see one Smile