Wings 3D Development Forum
The future of new modeling tools - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The future of new modeling tools (/showthread.php?tid=172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: The future of new modeling tools - Kruzschev - 02-16-2014

(02-13-2014, 05:29 AM)donkey32 Wrote: One of the nice things about Wings over the years has been the fact that it is a VERY self-consistent tool. It doesn't do everything and some things it doesn't do well or even at all.. The things that it DOES do, it does so cleanly, so quickly and with very little effort.
Yep, hardly any learning curves and the developer's where even so nice to add multiple camera style, which you won't find it in most other 3D modeller programm, aswell it is very fault tolerant both in model and to certain command errors, which obviously doesn't mean it doesn't crash at all just rarer

It is nice to see that Wings 3D gets slowly more used...
I wonder when however it will be able to certain other function apart from Basic UV-Mapping (which imo Blender does it better) and Modelling such as Animation but I am already happy as it is, atleast we have OBJ exporter which works very well so in practice one can resort to other tools for whatever the reason is

RE: The future of new modeling tools - Justanother1 - 02-16-2014

Actually, for UV-mapping, I found a process by accident that works great. I found and downloaded a little app called Roadkill, which is what Blenders UV-mapping is based on. I do materials and mark seams as hard edges before UV-mapping. Then I do a fast Projection UV in Wings3d and export. Load it into Roadkill and let it work, it does a much better job unwrapping tough shapes. Then save and back to Wings3D. I usually just leave Wings3d running delete the old model and import the UV'd one. You have to do the Materials again, but they're there and are defined by UV islands. I usually use the Wings3D UV tools to move and rotate the islands to a tighter area, then scale all in Vertex mode to maximize Texture space use

RE: The future of new modeling tools - kenmo - 02-18-2014

Where can Roadkill be downloaded?

RE: The future of new modeling tools - micheus - 02-18-2014

(02-18-2014, 05:33 PM)kenmo Wrote: Where can Roadkill be downloaded?
The first Google answer for "roadkill download": pullin shapes - Roadkill UV Tool

RE: The future of new modeling tools - Kruzschev - 02-18-2014

(02-16-2014, 06:32 PM)Justanother1 Wrote: Actually, for UV-mapping, I found a process by accident that works great.
Hm sounds interesting, through I prefer for myself the most laziest way possible to apply a texture... even though it doesn't look so good and the design kinda limited but meh. By using Blender material Auto UV-map,materials and baking

RE: The future of new modeling tools - Justanother1 - 02-19-2014

I like the UV tools in Wings3d better, but it just doesn't unwrap some shapes. It's not that it's better or anything, I never needed to learn Blender UV, cuz I know Wings3d ...... Maybe I'll do a Vid ...