Wings 3D Development Forum
Certain shotcuts changes are not saveable? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Certain shotcuts changes are not saveable? (/showthread.php?tid=180)

Certain shotcuts changes are not saveable? - haroon - 02-10-2013

Hi

I am trying to change the "s" key which is set to smooth in face mode to something else. So in face mode I move the mouse cursor down to the smooth item in the right menu then press delete to remove the key. Once I did that I assign "s" key to another function since it is free now.

It works as long as I am in the current session. When I restart Wings3d the settings of these new shortcuts are not loaded. I have to redo again. Please bear in mind that not all keys have such problems, I can normally save shortcuts no problem. But keys like "s" in face mode, numbers in "edge" mode (which divides the edges) are not saveable or assignable to another function as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?

thanks

RE: Certain shotcuts changes are not saveable? - micheus - 02-10-2013

(02-10-2013, 06:39 PM)haroon Wrote: Any ideas?
I think the "s" key is hard coded - as the numbers are for edge.
if you was capable to redefine that key once per session, maybe you can use the menu "File-save/restore preferences subset" in order to manage the current shortkey - this can be very annoing. I think the best idea is leave it as it is.

RE: Certain shotcuts changes are not saveable? - haroon - 02-11-2013

(02-10-2013, 09:52 PM)micheus Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 06:39 PM)haroon Wrote: Any ideas?
I think the "s" key is hard coded - as the numbers are for edge.
if you was capable to redefine that key once per session, maybe you can use the menu "File-save/restore preferences subset" in order to manage the current shortkey - this can be very annoing. I think the best idea is leave it as it is.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I guessed that it was hard coded so to me it is a bug because shortcuts should not be hard coded by now Sad

I normally would not have an issue with a key but I use this "s" key for "edge" in every other mode but unfortunately it works as smooth in face by default. So when i just want to change to edge mode in face I end up smoothing the polygons :

Naturally it would be great if these hard coded keys are freed really.

thanks

RE: Certain shotcuts changes are not saveable? - micheus - 03-19-2013

By taking a closest look at this issue, I just noticed that this behaviour comes from the fact that is possible to assign many hotkeys for only one command. They are not replaced.

So, when Wings starts it just appends the user hotkeys to the default hotkey list:
Code:
Hotkey List
M: Body|Smooth (user-defined)
S: Body|Smooth
M: Face|Smooth (user-defined)
S: Face|Smooth

Maybe this needs to be changed, maybe not. I'm not sure.

Edit: I played around with the code and now default hotkeys for a command is removed from hotkey list if there is a user defined for it.
If the user wants default value back just delete the one that was defined and after restart wings it will be back - as it used to work.
This way, the hotkey settings is preserved.

The changes still needs to be approved by dgud.

RE: Certain shotcuts changes are not saveable? - haroon - 04-01-2013

micheus

Thanks for taking the time to fix this. It is not a show stopper but it will improve usability.

thanks